? about lowered spindles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

? about lowered spindles

Need a little help with my 48 chevy its a pro street car with a mid 70's AMC pacer front suspension the suspension was done when i got the car,! Was wondering if anyone new what other spindles will work on this front end it has a rack and disc brakes great set up just looking to find compadiable spindle say another mopar, Im looking for a lowered spindle i know they make them for a good bit of mopars just not sure what will work on my front end im going to be running air ride aswell but would like the chamber to be right when its sitting at its lowest point and not be bowed out! any info would be appreciated
talked to the guys at Heihts and they only carry mustang 2 items Thanks George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mock Up 014.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	16684   Click image for larger version

Name:	progress 2 021.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	16685   Click image for larger version

Name:	progress 2 013.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	16686  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 PM
The Maintenance Geek

Last photo:

I think you may want to put a little weight on the front
end before trying to lower it some more, as it appears
pretty low now...

K
Old 12-06-2006, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Thanks the car dosent have the bags in it now and i will be running the shock wave air bags with the bags built into the shocks and they are adjustable and i can set the bottom out spot to where it will clear it sits now with 2"s of ground clearnace with out springs etc but again its in mock up now but with lowered spindles the chamber would not fall out so bad at thsi low spot when i lay it down at the shows and why slow cruising !
Old 12-06-2006, 08:49 PM
The Maintenance Geek

Last photo:

I'm not aware of any drop spindles for the Pacer front
suspension, but that doesn't mean there isn't one that
will work. Be really careful with your drop, as it looks
like the ball joints are at their maximum travel...

K
Old 12-06-2006, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Yeah thanks im hoping there will be a mopar unit that will share same platform and ball joints are not tight in photos just finger tight appreciate the help
Old 12-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I believe that the MII spindles will fit certain chrysler ball joints. Also, the upper Ball joint in that picture looks an awful lot like a MII.
I also know that you can buy a ream from speedway to fit various ball joint tapers.Which means you can modify a spindle to fit a different ball joint.
And also several companies sell premade bushings to modify a lower control arm to accept a chrysler ball joint.

speedway ball joint related stuff

There are spindles for other cars also, that may work.
Speedway spindles

If you can find a spindle that has the right steering axis inclination, and the steering arm is close to being right, you can modify the control arms, spindles , or use a different ball joint(s) .

If the steering axis is off, you may be able to move the upper control arm to make it right again. The upper mount on your frame doesn't look too complicated.

If the spindle overall height is different within 3/4" of an inch or so, it should be ok. (Taller spindle lowers your roll center..IIRC ) Or again, you can move the upper control arm.

The steering arm, if close, can be bent to get it right. If it is way off then I'd seek out another spindle.

I'd give Fatman fabrications a call also. Brent V is a very smart guy. Somewhat irascible, but informative if he thinks he can sell you something.

Custom stuff is so fun

If I were you do a little bit of studying about front end geometry, so you know what each angle and position does. You will be glad you did. It might take a litle mocking up and checking bumpsteer and ackerman angle, but where there's a will ..there' s a way.

Start taking some measurements of your current spindles. If you call manufacturers and let them know what you are doing they might cough up some technical drawings of their spindles for you to look at.

Hope this helps,
mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 12-07-2006, 06:40 AM

Last photo:

Awesome advice! thanks the mustang pieces look really close i beleive i will continue to mock up my pieces i think what i have would work just want to get the best geometry possible thats why im inquiring and i beleive spindles will help with that Thanks again GP
Old 12-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Are you aware that the AMC spindles are unboltable? Some have removed the spindles, added to the lower flange, drilled new mounting holes, and reinstalled the spindles as much as 2 inches higher on the steering knuckle.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

now that could be some good news lol thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

PRO48, as pasadena mentioned, a lowering plate is being used by several Rambler/AMC enthusiasts. I know one guy doing this on a 68 or so Rambler American and has been running it for at least a year now. He used 3/8" thick steel plate and dropped it half the distance between the original bolts -- around 1.5". If you do it that way four holes have to be tapped in the plate. The bottom two can be through bolts, the center four must be tapped (fine thread 3/8" bolts preferred... I think they are 3/8", might be 7/16"...), and the top two through bolts. The disc brake caliper adapters bolt between the spindle and lowering plate. If you don't want to add any width and/or want to convert to an aftermarket caliper (Baer, Wilwood, etc.), you can combine the adapter with the lowering plate. Will take a little measuring and more cutting, but not to tough to do. At least one person has made plates to lower the car with just six through bolts -- the bottom bolts of the spindle are in the top holes of the steering knuckle. He may have used 1/2" plate, not sure. I don't recommend that much drop, but it's up to you. You can find some more info on this at www.amcforums.com, search for "lowering plates". There may be a drawing with measurements posted somewhere on that board.

The MII spindle might be adaptable to the Pacer. The Pacer rack was made by GM, but as far as I know it doesn't directly cross over to a GM part number (custom made for AMC, I think). The spindles are the same as all 52-83 AMC two wheel drive units. The steering knuckles (what the ball joints go into -- also called uprights) are the same as 1970-83 AMC 2WD cars. Everything else about the Pacer suspension is unique to the Pacer.

The Pacer was a good car, but was introduced at about the same time as the first gas crunch. It was very safe, but heavy for its size. It weighs as much as a mid sized car, and basically is one considering the amount of interior space. It got a little better mileage than most US mid sized cars in the mid 70s -- not really good. People perceived it as a compact, not a "mid sized compact", and expected more than 18-20 mpg from it. Everything but the mentioned suspension parts, engine, trans, and rear axle (and a few minor parts like door handles) were unique to the Pacer. This made it pretty expensive to build. Relatively poor performance/mileage, the gas crunch, relatively futuristic styling, and the cost to build doomed the Pacer and AMC as it drained the company finiancially. They really couldn't afford building something that didn't sell well, unlike the larger companies who could afford a failure every now and then and absorb the loss. AMC had planned on replacing the Matador with a four door version of the Pacer, but the two door wagon and sedan are the only versions ever made. The wagon only came out because it needed few new panels to make. Oh well, enough AMC history!! (and probably more than you cared to hear)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.