? about the new Thumper cam from Comp. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
This is the retro fit cam, however, they also have this same cam for OEM roller cam blocks which is what he`s running.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-420-8/
His combo consists of RHS Vortec heads. With this cam and combo, it has absolutely killer out of the hole torque with 3.42 gears and gets good fuel economy.
well this looks part way what im gonna be running, 406, large port vortecs, 10 to 1 CR. Only difference is displacement and the runner size thanks for sharing. I havent looked at this in a mean while, and now its already got me thinking bout this same retrofit cam. Looks like id have a killer torque spec too huh?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302builder18
well this looks part way what im gonna be running, 406, large port vortecs, 10 to 1 CR. Only difference is displacement and the runner size thanks for sharing. I havent looked at this in a mean while, and now its already got me thinking bout this same retrofit cam. Looks like id have a killer torque spec too huh?
I don't know where the DCR would be w/that cam in your engine w/10:1 CR. I think it'll prolly be OK w/premium but I'd be checking to see that it's OK for pump gas. I'd also not want to try to go much smaller on the duration @ 0.050" lift.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I don't know where the DCR would be w/that cam in your engine w/10:1 CR. I think it'll prolly be OK w/premium but I'd be checking to see that it's OK for pump gas. I'd also not want to try to go much smaller on the duration @ 0.050" lift.
CompCams 12-420-8 closes the intake at 33.5 degrees ABDC @0.050" tappet lift. KB's DCR calculator puts the DCR at 8.90:1 with 3.750" stroke and 5.700" rod. Using a 6.00" rod puts it at 8.88:1. I suppose you could run premium pump gas if you ran a very tight squish and smoothed everything out in the chamber and piston crown, but as for myself, I would rather use a little more cam and tame down the squeeze a little. With 10.00:1 SCR and a 5.700" rod, a cam that closes the intake at 42 degrees ABDC @0.050" tappet lift would yield a DCR of 8.48:1 and that's probably what I'd do because a DCR of around 8.5 seems just about right to me. I never did like to build anything right up against the wall with no wiggle room. Something like this is what I'd be lookin' at....See the intake close at the bottom of the card....
http://www.cranecams.com/product/car...detail&p=24188
Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I wasn't sure on the DCR but I'm 100% w/you on not building an engine w/CR right on the edge- there's possibly a few percent gain in power per point of CR, but a bit too much CR can cost huge power if the total timing has to be retarded from best power timing. Or can cost huge $$$ if detonation is allowed to occur under load. Plus who knows what the future holds as far as available gasoline octane goes.

Much better IMO to build in some leeway in the CR for a bad tank of fuel, a parts failure that runs the coolant temp up, etc.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

id probably wanna run a lil bit bigger Gasket, if the qeunch is good, and the cam you listed, is a super charger cam i didnt think i could use one in a natural aspirated, but i geuss anything can be done with the right stuff. Hmm if i were to step up a lil i might run the 10:1.1 SCR and a lil bigger at .050 it just might be what im looking for? I was also looking at Howards Max Torque retro fit cam kit(i think its a kit),
110325-10
and lunatis bare bones cam set, Dont know the camshaft itself, just the kit (im gonna take a good look at it specificly)
10020LK
im a big newb at camshafts, i dont like and wont like for a while, cause all of em have a catch. and im not really a huge fan of checking em out

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.