Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - ? about what to set the timing at on a 350 sbc.
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 11:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

? about what to set the timing at on a 350 sbc.

I just got my (9.1) .030 350 sbc up and running, after changing the head gaskets, and it sound great Its got KB120 flats, .010 in the hole. A set of .028 GMPerformance head gaskets, and W/P s/r torquer's with 75cc combustion chambers. A Comp EX270HR with (495in - 502ex) (218in - 224 @50) (110 L/S) (1600 - 5400). The manifold is an Edelbrock performer EPS @ 1" four hole spacer, with Edelbrock 600 cfm carb. The distributor is a Mallory HEI, with a 50,000 volt coil. Well timing a motor was never one of my strong points, so what i've come to know is, to place a mark on the distributor, under the cap, whare the 1# plug wire goes. I then, drop the distributor down in, line the rotor up whare i think it should be,and line the mark on the distributor up with the rotor. Instead of starting the motor up at (TDC) i turn the ballancer to 10 deg, before TDC, line the mark on the distributor, up with the rotor again and locked it down. When i attempted to start the motor up, it fired write up and sounded great. The throttle responce is nice to, but im not sure if it needs to be at 8 deg's, 10 deg's, or 12 deg's BTC. So if anybody has some tuning tips, it would be much appreciated. Please Advise