ABS brakes on '72 chevelle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ABS brakes on '72 chevelle?

I've been searching around the web and this site to see if anyone has retrofitted an abs braking system to an A body?

Seems like a simple concept since many abs systems are stand alone and have their own controller.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
Personally, I'll just pump the brakes. These systems can be pretty complex, I would think long and hard before I dove into something like that.

Brian
Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Not all that complex in theory, just some trigger rings for the hubs, sensors mounted to the spindles, and a controller. Probably need the master from the donor car also. Was just wondering if anyone has looked into this in the past? I can't be the first person to want to do this.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

All I am saying is it's another thing to go wrong. Can it be done, sure. Putting tone rings on the front hubs is going to be just one hurtle to overcome.

Brian
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 AM

Last photo:

Yep, it will take a little R&D but that's fine, I'm a new product designer by trade so nothing new for me.

Anyone know of a late model Chevy that shares spindle or hub sizes to start with? I was going to start looking into mid 90's impalas or caprices.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Last photo:

It's been proven over and over a non abs car can be stopped in a shorter distance than an abs unit. An abs system ads another failure point. I don't understand why someone would want to do this if they know the consequences. I'm sure it can be done, but I'd rather talk you out of it as I feel that's more helpful.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch
It's been proven over and over a non abs car can be stopped in a shorter distance than an abs unit. An abs system ads another failure point. I don't understand why someone would want to do this if they know the consequences. I'm sure it can be done, but I'd rather talk you out of it as I feel that's more helpful.
Who did that proof testing? I've heard that old saw time and again but have yet to see any technical paper that says that beyond hearsay/someone's seat of the pants.

Give me REAL links with REAL tests by proven experts and make me change MY mind.

Dave W
Old 08-19-2011, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, I drive a road race car and can say from experience that unless you are a top tier professional race driver your not going to out brake a modern abs system. I sure can't which is why my track car still runs abs.

Other than trying to talk me out of giving this a shot does anyo e have any info that may help me out?

I found an abs retrofit kit for 4x4 trucks that have been converted from ifs to solid front axle, but the kit is intended for vehicles that cake with abs to begin with so only the tone rings and sensors/brackets are included, no controller or harness.

Still leaning towards finding a donor car and pulling the whole system and trying to fit it to the velle.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 PM

Last photo:

From what I understand Bosch just released their aftermarket kit which is quite spendy but I did come across this article in hot rod a while back. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...s/viewall.html
Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 PM
oldskoolcoupes

Last photo:

RE: ABS retro fit

It can and has been done but this will lighten your wallet severely, that being said ABS brakes are an asset to any car weighing 2500lbs. or more and especially on hi dollar muscle cars.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would do some investigations of later GM products to see if the rotors would interchange as well as how you would mount the sensors. Rest of it may be fairly straight forward..

Sam
Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

When would you really need them? Personally, I think they are just one more thing that has dumbed doiwn driving.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Who did that proof testing? I've heard that old saw time and again but have yet to see any technical paper that says that beyond hearsay/someone's seat of the pants.

Give me REAL links with REAL tests by proven experts and make me change MY mind.

Dave W
My experience came straight from GM from training over the years required in my line of work. Good enough for me, plus personal experience with both as I can match the results. Maybe others don't have the reflexes and need help? I can't speak for everybody. It really doesn't matter to me if you're convinced or not as my stuff stops and I don't feel the need to dig deeper to prove anything - it's simply information.

As an add-on, it only takes about 10 seconds to find http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...er-risk-by-51/ . Naturally, you can find anything to counter anything on the net, but these results back up my personal training in 30 years of experience. ABS might help someone less capable (granny and the general public tend to fit this) but most serious racers have better real world feedback than a computer. Again, take it or leave it - it makes NO difference to me.

Last edited by KMatch; 08-22-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

I don't doubt for a second that it works better but my point is, what are your driving habits? I personally allow a LOT of room, I have learned that pushing it doesn't get you there any faster, not in traffic at least. On a windy road do I open it up a little, heck yeah but I don't go over the limit. I have, and I have paid for it and that was that. I have said it before, the bodyshop where I work is STILL full of cars everyday, nearly every one of them have ABS brakes, yet they are still in a body shop, why? Because it is the driving habits of the average driver and they now push it even further than before because the car handles and stops so well. Where once they gave thirty feet room, now it's ten. And because of that they STILL hit stuff.

By the way, I really appreciate it, it puts food on my table.

Brian
Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

That hot rod article is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

As for abs vs no abs, that's for another thread.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.