ABS to conventional conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

ABS to conventional conversion

My '89 Jeep Cherokee came with the Bendix 9 ABS system. This system is garbage (as confirmed by Bendix tech).

Bottom line is that the part runs about $1,400 to replace (entire master cylinder assembly), which I refuse to pay.

I wish to convert over to standard brakes and was wondering if anyone knew if the vacuum operated power booster and master cylinder was a direct swap or if there was more involved.

Anyone?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Are you having any other brake symptoms other than the ABS light on on the dash?

Steve
Old 08-08-2006, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 steve
Are you having any other brake symptoms other than the ABS light on on the dash?

Steve
I have no power brakes.

The 12v hydraulic pump went out so I replaced it only to find out that the culprit was the master cylinder / accumulator assembly.

Bendix tech told me to junk the system.

Dealer wants $1,400 bucks, which I refuse to pay.

I can get a vacuum power booster and conventional master cylinder for around $120, I am just wondering if these will bolt up in place of the existing or if I need other items. I have searched for this info and was unable to find anything.

I just want to be sure that I have everything I need prior to tearing it apart...less trips to the parts store.

Edit: The pump burned itself up due to the fact that it could not pressurized the system due to a faulty master cylinder / accumulator assembly. The new pump kept running and would not prime the system which is why I called Bendix in the first place. This is when I was told that there was a internal seal in the system somewhere causing this. Evidently, Jeep increased the warranties on these vehicles to 100,000 miles due to this issue. The parts are not servicable.

Last edited by Lonestar; 08-08-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

the master cyl off of a pre ABS or non ABS cherokee should work. RWABS dosn't make sense with duo servo drum brakes. even if the brake preassure pulsates like it is supposto, the drum brakes are too sluggish to react, to take advantage of the pulasation
Old 08-08-2006, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
the master cyl off of a pre ABS or non ABS cherokee should work. RWABS dosn't make sense with duo servo drum brakes. even if the brake preassure pulsates like it is supposto, the drum brakes are too sluggish to react, to take advantage of the pulasation
It is my understanding that this particular ABS is front brakes only...there is no pulsating, only complete loss of hydraulics to operate it. The old pump started running on intermittently until it finally just ran therefore burning itself out completely.

I absolutely refuse to spend the dollars required to fix it and would rather convert to non-ABS...I beat this vehicle to near death on a daily basis so I do not care.

I know that the parts will work, I am just questioning whether or not I need anything else besides the power booster and master cylinder.

Will it all hook up to the brake pedal and such?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

a vehicle that old should have only rear abs, i could be wrong, if it is front only, that would be weird, because if the front dosn't lock up than the rear could and cause more of a problem. if the pedal assembly dosn't match up, you could probably gain the pedal assembly off of a non abs cherokee of a compatible year. not compleatly certin but I'd almost be willing to bet it would fit right togther.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
My only comment is that I have now and have had several vehicles with rear drum anti-lock brakes and they seem to pulsate fine and prevent lock-up as intended. My old 90 Lincoln has a dedicated 4 wheel system. I like them.

www.readershotrods.com
Old 08-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I ditched the ABS stuff on my '96 S-10. I removed everything except the lines and M/C, then bought a proportioning valve from a 88+ Chevy non-ABS 1/2 ton P/U. It bolted right up to the bottom of the stock S-10 M/C. All I needed to do was fab new adapter lines from M/C to the prop valve and the prop valve to the system. Really cleans up the engine compartment, reduces complexity and stops every bit as good. I don't use the factory ECM, so no codes are set...

Russ
Old 08-09-2006, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
My only comment is that I have now and have had several vehicles with rear drum anti-lock brakes and they seem to pulsate fine and prevent lock-up as intended. My old 90 Lincoln has a dedicated 4 wheel system. I like them.

www.readershotrods.com
I like ABS also, but a leading trailing type rear drum would work far better as they do not self energize and are a lot quicker to react, unfortunatly, they have never been used for a rwd platform, but 90% of the newer compacts- midsize have them along with 4whl ABS.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
I ditched the ABS stuff on my '96 S-10. I removed everything except the lines and M/C, then bought a proportioning valve from a 88+ Chevy non-ABS 1/2 ton P/U. It bolted right up to the bottom of the stock S-10 M/C. All I needed to do was fab new adapter lines from M/C to the prop valve and the prop valve to the system. Really cleans up the engine compartment, reduces complexity and stops every bit as good. I don't use the factory ECM, so no codes are set...

Russ
I was wondering mostly about the proportioning valve. Come to think of it, I should just do a parts look-up at one of those online discount parts sites and see if the part numbers are the same.

As far as adapters, I have a couple of boxes of them so I think I will be ok there.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

I found this today:

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 96V260000 - Hide Details
1989 JEEP CHEROKEE SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
Recall Date: 12/27/1996

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS). THE ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT CAN EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE BRAKE ACTUATOR PISTON SEAL WEAR WHICH COULD CAUSE PUMP-MOTOR DETERIORATION.

Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, THE ABS FUNCTION WOULD BE LOSE AND REDUCED POWER ASSIST WOULD BE EXPERIENCED DURING VEHICLE BRAKING. THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WARNING LIGHTS WILL SIGNAL SYSTEM IMPAIRMENT AND THE BASE MANUAL BRAKES WILL REMAIN FUNCTIONAL.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL TEST THE VEHICLE'S ABS AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY. THE WARRANTY ON ALL ABS COMPONENTS WILL BE EXTENDED TO 10 YEARS OR 100,000 MILES (EXCEPT FOR THE BRAKE ACTUATOR PISTON ASSEMBLY AND THE PUMP-MOTOR ASSEMBLY WHICH WILL HAVE A LIFETIME COVERAGE). OWNERS WILL BE REIMBURSED FOR PREVIOUS ABS COMPONENT REPAIR COSTS.

Potential Units Affected: 52000

Notes: JEEP CHEROKEE 702

So I start calling dealerships to see if the factory is still honoring the recall...3 dealerships, 3 different answers. If I can get a free diagnoses and replacement of the actuator, I will be happy...but I am not about to pay the diagnostic labor charges as they will undoubtedly be higher than what it would cost to convert to conventional brakes.

Worth looking into though.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.