Hot Rod Forum banner

ABS vs PVC

18K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have already bought some Roddoor custom panels for my 77 chevy C10 but I also want to replace my worn dash. After reading the threads about door panels, I learned that cheaper PVC sheets may be used instead of the $125 ABS sheet from Roddoors for a custom dash.

So I looked up a local plastic supply store for pvc who said they had it for $5.00 but was unsure I could use it because it may be hard to cut and mold. Any additional information about a known source for PVC would be appreciated since I don't want to waste my time on the wrong type of product.

Also, would foam be recommended for use behind the dash or should I just mold the sheet, cut for gauges, glue upholstery and mount?

locomark

#2 ·
PVC does not allow for heat forming as ABS does. either with the correct adhesive will allow for cutting and glueing to create forms. PVC requires a slight shifting of the part to create the grafting of the surfaces and is a bit of a pain. As fo covering PVC does not accept glue as easily as ABS but either way I use trim and top glue (glue slightly etches ABS doesnt phase PVC) and staple (stainless).

If you are not doing any forms oil board is my 1st choice. From there on out it depends on the design. ABS is the way to go if you must mold a shape without a thickness build up.

#3 ·
creativeinteriors said:
PVC does not allow for heat forming
What?? I use closed cell PVC sheets, called Sintra, EVERYDAY and it forms better and easier than ABS does (for me anyway). In my experiences, the PVC ive used (Sintra and the like) heat up nice and gradually, while ABS absorbs the heat, then BAM it starts to melt. There are all sorts of different types of PVC plastic sheets... Tell the plastic supplier you want the mat-finish PVC sheet that the sign guys used, it will be Sintra or something like it. Sintra is a brand name (like Kleenex) so you can ask for it by name.

I found a nice link with info on the Sintra http://tri-dee.com/sintra_plastic_pvc.htm
"Sintra® is a thermoplastic, and starts to soften at about 150° F. This means that you can easily heat up thin (3mm or thinner) pieces of Sintra® and mold them as needed." Click the links on that page, lots of helpful advice...

#4 ·
Sorry for the misunderstanding...

I stated..."PVC does not allow for heat forming as ABS does" I agree with Krists response to my post as written.

I try to help as much as I can but am not always able to go into a long winded post. What I meant to say is the PVC that "I have used" does not allow for heat forming as easily as ABS. I agree that as I originally wrote it, it is read as not at all. That is obviously not true as to its properties and working temps, I deflect to Krist.

I agree that ABS has a short working range that is difficult to control and has a tendency to over heat in a snap. While we hand form parts from time to time, typically I create contour model and then use a large heat oven and vacu-form my panels using a frame and bladder set up we have built.

Sorry to say I have not used Sintra. The model shop here and I have used PVC sheeting but dont recall the make, and it certainly wasnt sign type by any means. I do know there are different flex and temp properties depending on the spec. I easily could have had a different result due to the physical properties of the base material I was using. By all means if Krist says Sintra works, GREAT. I will search it out and try it. Im here to learn too!

We dont pay anywhere near 150 a sheet but also not anywhere 5 dollar either. I know that when we vac form our parts the ABS works great if I can use a cheaper material excellent I going to get some Sintra and try it out!

Thanks

#8 · (Edited)
This is an old thread, but they are talking about PVC foamboard, also called closed cell PVC, or expanded PVC. I buy it in 4' by 8' sheets in 3MM (about 1/8") and 6MM (about 1/4") thicknesses from a plastic supplier for about $28 to $40 a sheet. It goes by the brand names Sintra, Komatex, CelTec, and Palight. It is half the weight and a lot less expensive than 100% PVC. It is way less expensive than ABS, and forms at low temperatures, making it a perfect product for a beginner. It also glues together with gel type super glue, which makes it very versatile.

Delrin (Acetal) is a lot different than ABS. ABS is a variant of polystyrene and is perfect for making the plastic trim pieces in modern car interiors. Delrin has very high heat resistance and is used in wear strips because it has such a low coefficient of friction, and is very tough. It is also better machined than heat formed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.