ABS vs PVC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 08:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

ABS vs PVC

Hi,

I have already bought some Roddoor custom panels for my 77 chevy C10 but I also want to replace my worn dash. After reading the threads about door panels, I learned that cheaper PVC sheets may be used instead of the $125 ABS sheet from Roddoors for a custom dash.

So I looked up a local plastic supply store for pvc who said they had it for $5.00 but was unsure I could use it because it may be hard to cut and mold. Any additional information about a known source for PVC would be appreciated since I don't want to waste my time on the wrong type of product.

Also, would foam be recommended for use behind the dash or should I just mold the sheet, cut for gauges, glue upholstery and mount?

locomark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

PVC does not allow for heat forming as ABS does. either with the correct adhesive will allow for cutting and glueing to create forms. PVC requires a slight shifting of the part to create the grafting of the surfaces and is a bit of a pain. As fo covering PVC does not accept glue as easily as ABS but either way I use trim and top glue (glue slightly etches ABS doesnt phase PVC) and staple (stainless).

If you are not doing any forms oil board is my 1st choice. From there on out it depends on the design. ABS is the way to go if you must mold a shape without a thickness build up.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:12 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeinteriors
PVC does not allow for heat forming
What?? I use closed cell PVC sheets, called Sintra, EVERYDAY and it forms better and easier than ABS does (for me anyway). In my experiences, the PVC ive used (Sintra and the like) heat up nice and gradually, while ABS absorbs the heat, then BAM it starts to melt. There are all sorts of different types of PVC plastic sheets... Tell the plastic supplier you want the mat-finish PVC sheet that the sign guys used, it will be Sintra or something like it. Sintra is a brand name (like Kleenex) so you can ask for it by name.

I found a nice link with info on the Sintra http://tri-dee.com/sintra_plastic_pvc.htm
"Sintra® is a thermoplastic, and starts to soften at about 150° F. This means that you can easily heat up thin (3mm or thinner) pieces of Sintra® and mold them as needed." Click the links on that page, lots of helpful advice...
The Following User Says Thank You to kristkustoms For This Useful Post:
Navy LDO (03-30-2014)
Old 07-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

Sorry for the misunderstanding...

I stated..."PVC does not allow for heat forming as ABS does" I agree with Krists response to my post as written.

I try to help as much as I can but am not always able to go into a long winded post. What I meant to say is the PVC that "I have used" does not allow for heat forming as easily as ABS. I agree that as I originally wrote it, it is read as not at all. That is obviously not true as to its properties and working temps, I deflect to Krist.

I agree that ABS has a short working range that is difficult to control and has a tendency to over heat in a snap. While we hand form parts from time to time, typically I create contour model and then use a large heat oven and vacu-form my panels using a frame and bladder set up we have built.

Sorry to say I have not used Sintra. The model shop here and I have used PVC sheeting but dont recall the make, and it certainly wasnt sign type by any means. I do know there are different flex and temp properties depending on the spec. I easily could have had a different result due to the physical properties of the base material I was using. By all means if Krist says Sintra works, GREAT. I will search it out and try it. Im here to learn too!

We dont pay anywhere near 150 a sheet but also not anywhere 5 dollar either. I know that when we vac form our parts the ABS works great if I can use a cheaper material excellent I going to get some Sintra and try it out!

Thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Hey Krist,

What's a good thickness for interior panels or headliner that may need heat-forming?

TIA!

Russ
Old 07-29-2005, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the information. My primary question has been answered. The follow up was should foam be used behind the panel?

Thanks again
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM

PVC or ABS

PVC is a good material but, I think ABS would be great. It is a great machinable plastic and welds and bonds to itself. Delrin or acetal which is the genric name could also work. It's great more machining and is a very durable, tough material.
Try http://hightechplastics.com/
Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

This is an old thread, but they are talking about PVC foamboard, also called closed cell PVC, or expanded PVC. I buy it in 4' by 8' sheets in 3MM (about 1/8") and 6MM (about 1/4") thicknesses from a plastic supplier for about $28 to $40 a sheet. It goes by the brand names Sintra, Komatex, CelTec, and Palight. It is half the weight and a lot less expensive than 100% PVC. It is way less expensive than ABS, and forms at low temperatures, making it a perfect product for a beginner. It also glues together with gel type super glue, which makes it very versatile.

Delrin (Acetal) is a lot different than ABS. ABS is a variant of polystyrene and is perfect for making the plastic trim pieces in modern car interiors. Delrin has very high heat resistance and is used in wear strips because it has such a low coefficient of friction, and is very tough. It is also better machined than heat formed.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 05-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.