AC Cobra Stripes... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 04:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

AC Cobra Stripes...

Does anyone know where I can get the specs for painting the rally stripes on an AC Cobra.

Found a place a while ago complete with a picture but cannot find it again.

Thanks!

Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006, 06:52 PM

Dave,
I have a 65 cobra that is stripless. I've had it for 12 years and I can't remember any specs on this subject. I would think is to paint them to your own likes. Everyone I've seen is different, no two alike. But then thats the fun of owning a cobra. You can do what you want and it still looks good.
If I find anything I'll let you know.

Wayne
Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

http://www.carrollshelby.com

Try this site it seems quite informative anyway. Maybe try contacting them and asking. And by the way I saw you where asking the Cobra Club what color stripes. I know a sweet snake scales method (No not the fishnet stuff). I always thought a Cobra would be a sweet ride to use them on. Anyway, jus my 2 cents.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Will check...

I will look at his site. Loked before but could not find anything.

There is a trick as the stripe form an illusion as you paint them. i think the center of the car needs to be overal 1" wider than the front and back edges to give it the illusion of being straight.

If I can find the schematic I have it will tell me for sure.

Dave
Old 10-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

Can't help you on the dimensions, but I do have a top view of a cobra I had saved on my computer. When I painted one wide stripe on the mustang I had no template to go by, because it was a design he wanted, following the shape of the cowl scoop and then going straight over the roof trunklid and down the rear bumper. I actually laid them out prior to painting once the whole car was primed by taping paper them out to kinda get a feel how to lay them out and had him look at it to see if it looked like what he was looking for. I suppose you could just spray them on with a lacquer primer too if its all primed and sand it off when you final sand. It was tough laying them out without a template with finding the centerline of the car being so tough. There weren't to many convienient places to measure and find the center line. Using a laser level helped to find the center line, I ran a piece of 3/4 inch masking tape on the centerline and from there measured off the width of the stripe. I pulled the line for the edges of the stripe using marks I made for a guide, but did a lot by sight when till things were looking right and the stripe looked straight and even from side to side, and then used the laser level again to see how close it was to the line. I did make a few templates to go by also when I had laid them out in primer. One things for sure, You kinda want to have an idea how you need to lay them before base is on, your tired from painting and masking and you have to stay window of base and get the second color taped off and sprayed in time. Here is a top view of a cobra I had saved on my computer in case it will help any little bit. I have an old car magazine lying around somewhere that had a few stripe dimensions in it, but don't think the cobra was one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cobratop.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	15412  
Old 10-09-2006, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

Thanks!

I found a couple of photos with dimensions for Shelby Mustangs that show how the LeMans/Rally Stripes were painted and for visual affects the center is wider than the front and back.

If the picture comes out below, that is one of a few pics I found but nothing specifically yet for the AC Cobra.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lemans stripes.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	15443  
Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17
Can't help you on the dimensions, but I do have a top view of a cobra I had saved on my computer. When I painted one wide stripe on the mustang I had no template to go by, because it was a design he wanted, following the shape of the cowl scoop and then going straight over the roof trunklid and down the rear bumper. I actually laid them out prior to painting once the whole car was primed by taping paper them out to kinda get a feel how to lay them out and had him look at it to see if it looked like what he was looking for.
That is an awsome photo showing two completely different styles and how both look good. Very cool.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.