AC condenser - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 04:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

AC condenser

I am putting a 302 in a 97 ranger with AC. The radiator is larger and the only way I can get the condenser to fit is to "modify" (ie cut the dickens out of the radiator support) or use a smaller condenser ( the Ford Festiva will fit) Would this mess up the AC cooling?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2
I am putting a 302 in a 97 ranger with AC. The radiator is larger and the only way I can get the condenser to fit is to "modify" (ie cut the dickens out of the radiator support) or use a smaller condenser ( the Ford Festiva will fit) Would this mess up the AC cooling?

There are alot of things taken into consideration when the factory designs anything. The size of the compressor and flow needed to cool the vehicle will determine the size of the condensor, along with the airflow that the cooling system will generate. With that said, about all you can do is try the smaller condensor and monitor the A/C pressure readings making sure the high side stays in a resonable range during all driving phases.

Mark
Old 07-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2
You lost me.
If the radiator is larger why would you need to install a smaller condenser than what the factory used?

YES. Smaller condensers reduce cooling capacity significantly.
Use duracool refrigerant www.duracool.com

www.readershotrods.com
Old 07-23-2006, 07:51 PM

The 302 needs a lot more cooling than the 2.3 four banger that was in the Ranger originally. Space is tight. James Duff makes a radiator that tuckes under the radiator support bracket and gives you about 2-3 inches more room. This is where the old condenser sat. To move the condenser forward you either put it in front of the radiator mount bracket with a lot of modification or find a smaller one that will work.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:03 PM

I also apologize for being rude. Thank you all for your help!!! I am really new at building and this is my first project. Seemed simple when I started but got complex in a hurry!!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Rude, ok, when?

Ah, so thickness is the problem not outside dimensions. OK

Jmark is correct. Too small of a condensor might not be compatible with your compressor. Won't pass enough stuff through it.

Start looking at the condensers in lots of these new cars, some are pretty thin. When you find something that dimensionally will work with less hassle, find a buddy at the local body shop and have him order one for you for say, $ 10 over cost, or find that model in the salvage yard for 1/3 the price. Left or right hose fittings doesn't matter, you can turn it around.

Remember, frontal area is most important, though thickness does count.

Maybe you can mount it flat to the front of the radiator before you install the radiator, almost like a big transmission cooler. But don't use those plastic zip things, make brackets.

If you can get a 5.0 radiator in there, that thing will cool ok with a condensor in front if you use an engine driven fan.

Also Vintage Air in San Antonio has some excellent products. not cheap like the body shop though.
www.readershotrods.com

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.