ac to dc amp rating HELP???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 06:52 AM

Last journal entry: Ontario Camaro Nationals 2008
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ac to dc amp rating HELP????

I am trying to find a switch to use in a 12 volt circuit but all of the switches that I find are rated in ac. Most are listed something like this: 2amps @ 125v ac, 28vdc or..... 10 amps @ 440v Ac 12,24,48 dc.

If a switch is rated at say 5 amps @ 220v ac How do I determine how many amps it can withstand at 12v dc.

The switch I need is to operate a single power window motor and I figure that since it is fused 25 amps in my car for two motors I could use a switch for one motor that would be good to 12.5 amps @12v dc. I just don't know how to figure out if a switch will take that power or not.

Thanks
Ric

Last edited by Ratchet; 01-20-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Last photo:

Use a relay, then your switch rating is not that big a deal, and the switch will last longer to boot.

Vince
Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_4/2.html

http://www.eaa.org/benefits/sportavi...2_switches.pdf
Old 01-20-2006, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Use a relay, then your switch rating is not that big a deal, and the switch will last longer to boot.

Vince
Check the diagram attached for the application. The switches I am looking for are push button switches that will carry the current required by the motor until the motor drives the rack into contact with the switch at the end of its travel. At that point the switch will open the circuit and stop the motor. When the relay is triggered to start the motor in the oposite rotation the rack will then travel to the other switch which will stop the motor when the rack comes in contact with that switch.

So as you can see switches are required in this application.

Ric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schematic.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	9368  
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

onovakind67.

The second link was very informative and points out the problems of using an AC switch in a DC application. I still need to find out how to convert amp ratings in AC volts to amp ratings in DC volts as most switches even though they say they are good for DC don't indicate how many amps they are rated for. The generally give an AC amperage rating an AC voltage a DC voltage but now DC amperage.

Ric
Old 01-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Both links are very informative, and make good reading.

To Simplify Your Task at hand, Look at the lowest Current reading of the switch (AC or DC) and make that +/- 25% of the max rated draw of your circuit..(I.E. If your switch is lowest, 10 amp rated, your devices should draw no more than 7.5 amps)

The easy way to view the Voltage rating , Is that it is the voltage at which IT MAY be possible for an Arc to travel across the contacts, OR will weld/burn or pit the contacts closed. Stay below that and you'll be fine.

Is this for Limit switches on a Headlight circuit? Or a revolving license tag? (looking at the drawing) If so, you need to re~position the limit switches to activate the relay Coils, Not the motor..let the relay Contacts do the work..For that, you may have to add a second relay (reverser) .I can't really tell by the lay out the CW/NO/NC contacts on that drawing as they aren't Included...so I can't really say how that will operate or not..

If , On your motor circuit, you are using the relays (Which ALWAYS should be done, and on those items drawing more than 25 amps) Your Task is further Simplified..

You need only be concerned with the Relay coil draw, of each coil, which will be about 1/2 amp to an amp each, Far less than the motor draws..Just about ANY standard aftermarket Switch is rated at about 5 amps..so almost any off the shelf switch will do the job. AND is soooooo much cheaper than a high amp switch!

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 01-20-2006 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-21-2006, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Doc here,

Both links are very informative, and make good reading.

To Simplify Your Task at hand, Look at the lowest Current reading of the switch (AC or DC) and make that +/- 25% of the max rated draw of your circuit..(I.E. If your switch is lowest, 10 amp rated, your devices should draw no more than 7.5 amps)

The easy way to view the Voltage rating , Is that it is the voltage at which IT MAY be possible for an Arc to travel across the contacts, OR will weld/burn or pit the contacts closed. Stay below that and you'll be fine.

Is this for Limit switches on a Headlight circuit? Or a revolving license tag? (looking at the drawing) If so, you need to re~position the limit switches to activate the relay Coils, Not the motor..let the relay Contacts do the work..For that, you may have to add a second relay (reverser) .I can't really tell by the lay out the CW/NO/NC contacts on that drawing as they aren't Included...so I can't really say how that will operate or not..

If , On your motor circuit, you are using the relays (Which ALWAYS should be done, and on those items drawing more than 25 amps) Your Task is further Simplified..

You need only be concerned with the Relay coil draw, of each coil, which will be about 1/2 amp to an amp each, Far less than the motor draws..Just about ANY standard aftermarket Switch is rated at about 5 amps..so almost any off the shelf switch will do the job. AND is soooooo much cheaper than a high amp switch!

Doc

You know I just new you were going to say I would have to add relays.

But just for curiosity if a switch says it is 10 amps at 125v ac how many amps will it handle at 12volts DC? Whats the formula?

Thanks
Ric
Old 01-23-2006, 04:53 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: LED tail lights
Last photo:

I don't remember ever seeing a formula for the conversion of switch ratings. There are to many different types.

Switches are designed and manufactured to meet certain criteria. They are tested by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or CSI in Canada to certify that they (safely) perform as rated.
The example of 10 amps @ 125 volts is for commercial controls. Sometimes refered to as "pilot duty" which is not for power switching.
We also see "motor rated" switches. You will actually see a maximum HP rating label on the switch. These are designed for power switching and to handle the inrush of current when a motor is started.

Low voltage DC is hard on switching devices. 12 volts DC @ 10 amps produces more contact arcing than 125 volts AC @ 10 amps.

As a very general guide, try to limit the total load to 50% of the rating when used on 12 volts DC.

With motor rated AC switches, you should OK with 75% of the AC rating.

vicrod

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.