AC Generator Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

AC Generator Problem

I know this is a hotrodders board but atleast this is the off topic section. Fixing this generator will help me earn the money needed to do some of my own hot rodding work Besides there are alot of us that are mechanically inclined and come from many many different lines of work.

This generator is used to power equipment (mainly a 110v oil burner on my pressure washer heater but also used for an air compressor, lights, etc) on my work trailer. I bought it (the generator head, not the engine) trying to save money, since I had a spare horizontal shaft engine laying around (Honda GX340 11hp). Paid $100 for the generator and maybe $150 for the engine by the time I added the parts I had to put on it before I could use it. Anyways it is a generator off a "RigMaster" power unit. Its made in england by a company called "Markon SawaFuji". They were two companys that merged and are now even a part of cummins generator technologies.

Anyways once i got the generator all hooked up to the motor (direct drive, it is a 2 pole generator which means it needs to turn 3600 rpm to make the 60hz that most electrical devices require). I started it up and plugged in a light. Nothing. Nada. I tested the voltage output with a multimeter and got a reading of 5.2 volts. A long long was off from the 115V it should be putting out. I tried "flashing the field" with a 12v battery like the manual recommends and it changed the voltage some but not by much.

The generator is "Markon" model BL105E, 6.0 KVa (approx 4800watts by conversion of kva to watts) 115v 50.0 amp/230v 25.0 amps (somehow I come up with 5750 watts this way, but it says clearly on the side of the generator that it is 6.0 kva and 115v/50.0amp 130v/25.0amp). Anyways. Does anyone have any idea whats going on here? Could the capacitor (which is used to "excite" the generator) be bad? If so, how come it produces 5 volts but nothing more? The generator has been sitting for about 2 years. It was last used in 2007 by the person that sold it to me. It had sat abut 1.5 years at that point and ive been messing with it off and on since then. He mentioned he could get parts for it still, specifically he said capacitor (but swore up and down this thing worked) which makes me wonder if he knew it needed a capacitor but didnt want to tell me. This, combined with it having been stored so long, makes me think the capacitor is the problem.

Edit: There are no voltage regulators on this unit.

http://www.powertechengines.com/Newa...05-english.pdf

Advertisement

Last edited by Torque454; 04-27-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 05:07 AM

Last photo:

Not much on generators but a freind had one that would not put out proper voltage without a load.Wouldn't light a light bulb alone but hook up a blower fan and it would work?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

moving this to the Tools forum......
Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

On the rotor there should be a couple diodes, if there is, make sure they havent shorted. The capacitor is probably ok but if you have a meter that will measure capactitance you can test it. Generally when a cap fails it will produce low voltage at no load then come up slightly with a load on it.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

There are two diodes on the rear of the rotor. Do I test them by reading the ohms between the two terminals of the diodes? A reading of zero or anything less than infinite would indicate a blown/shorted diode correct? All I have is a cheap digital multimeter. Dont know if its any good for this stuff or not.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

You can use an ohm meter to test them, a meter with diode function would be best though. Go to each diode and put the leads on. One way the diode should read continuity. Then switch the leads, the diode should then read open. If the diodes both read shorted try disconnecting them and testing again, they sometimes can read shorted if left hooked up. Hope that is clear enough let me know if you need more help.

p.s you can also do a quick check of your capacitor with your ohm meter. Put your meter on and one way the capacitor should charge, then reverse the leads and the capacitor should discharge. *this is not the greatest test but it will tell you if your cap has opened.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Be careful around the cap, if it has a charge it can give you a nasty shock.

Chet
Old 11-25-2013, 02:06 PM

You probly need to flash the capacitor. Check the documents for the rigmaster on their site for specific instructions. In short, check capacitor voltage, if it's less than 1.5v it needs flashed. Meter it out to find positive side of capacitor. Using a 12v battery, touch lead to contacts for 1 sec while unit is running it should start producing electricity.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
You probly need to flash the capacitor. Check the documents for the rigmaster on their site for specific instructions. In short, check capacitor voltage, if it's less than 1.5v it needs flashed. Meter it out to find positive side of capacitor. Using a 12v battery, touch lead to contacts for 1 sec while unit is running it should start producing electricity.
I never updated this post. The problem was the capacitor itself. I had to replace it, and THEN flash it. I tried flashing it with the old one and it wouldnt work.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.