Hot Rod Forum banner

AC reinstall help!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  75gmck25 
#1 ·
The guy who had my car before me cut my AC out I have been thinking about putting it back in would it be worth it? I am west TN so it does get hot here. Would putting AC back in it hurt my performance any? Thanks

#2 ·
Might help to know year, engine, and model.

The reality is that for most A/C systems, other than the performance hit from carrying the extra weight of the A/C hardware, there is no performance impact when you're not using the A/C. The compressor clutch eliminates the HP drag of the compressor. Even better, most A/C systems built since the mid-1970s have a W.O.T. compressor cutout anyway, so again even with the A/C on, if you floor the throttle the compressor clutch releases and there's no HP drag (other than the less-than-measurable drag of turning the now freewheeling pulley on the compressor). If you have an older system like the 1960s GM systems, there isn't a W.O.T. cutout, so you do get that compressor drag. If that's what you have, consider upgrading to one of the newer cycling compressor conversion kits. These retrofit to the old GM A/C systems and replace the suction throttling valve.

#5 ·
Do you have an R4 compressor (fairly short, about as big a diameter as a large coffee can), or an A6 (very long, smaller than a coffee can, very heavy)? The A6 uses a bracket that bolts to the top of the intake manifold next to the carburetor, and another bracket that attaches to the exhaust manifold, but I believe the R4 bolts only to the front of the block and heads.

The HT6 compressor was used a lot with Vortec engines with a serpentine belt system. It may be easier to switch to that compressor and just get all the brackets from a junkyard.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.