Hot Rod Forum banner

access to paint simulation software?

5K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  farna 
#1 ·
I have seen paint simulation software before. You can use a photo of your car then change the paint color as many times as you like. Anyone have access to this?

#16 ·
I hate to even say it, but i'm actually starting to like the satin black paint jobs on some of these old cars... provided they are even looking and not splotchy.

Its gonna be hard to go wrong on that Rambler, you got a helluva deal on that thing. Can't wait to watch the progress. :thumbup:

#17 ·
If you'd like to try it yourself, you could load GIMP. It's very similar to Photoshop, but free! It's mainly a Linux/Unix based program, but there is a Windows installer.
GIMP - Windows installers

You still have to learn to use the software though, and changing colors on an object isn't the easiest thing to do.

#18 ·
59RAMBLER

I'm a closet rambler fan :)
My dad had a wagon just like that when I was a kid, and I spent many miles in the back seat.
Years ago one of the paint manufactures advertised an online program (like your asking about) in all the car magazines, but I never saw it actually come out, and if so, not for very long.

GIMP is nice and cheap $$$ but it's kind of hard to figure out, not for a novice.
If you could find an old version of Photoshop for sale, it's actually pretty straight forward to replace a color.
I have a ten year old version and it still runs under Windows 7 just fine.

If you post a picture of the color you are interest in, I can try to match it for you.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff47/SuperL98new/Rampurple.jpg

#19 ·
Heck, I had trouble doing that in Photoshop, only a 4-5 year old release. PS is hard to figure out too, but with more people using it it's like a Chevy engine or Holley carb -- easy to find a tutorial or someone to help. I use GIMP for photo retouching/sizing, but haven't tried something like color change. Use to use Corel PhotoPaint, but switched everything over to Linux when I found a good stable DTP program that was made for Linux. Great job!!

#20 ·
Don't get me wrong, I like GIMP and use it a lot when modifying PC game artwork especially.
Lot's of free support files from the GIMP community

PhotoShop is just a little easier for this one type of problem

Here is a Youtube on an easy Photoshop method

And one on a typical GIMP method

#21 ·
Thanks for those links! I didn't know you were familiar with GIMP too, most people use one or the other. Didn't mean to insinuate that you might not like GIMP, hard to tell what people mean on-line though! I'm going to look at the GIMP link and might try it, but by the time I have to do it I'll have forgotten how!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.