Accessory hole screw up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 05:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Accessory hole screw up

I tried to salvage a couple of 487 heads that a friend gave me. They were given to him after original owner broke off a couple of bolts in the accessory holes. The first one only had one bolt broke off on the end with three accessory holes. No big problem, I drilled it and got the old bolt out with an ease out.
The other head was a little worse off, not as bad as it is after I worked on it though...lol
They had managed to break off one bolt, possibly two. One of the holes had a big heli coil installed in it but someone had tried to remove it, the other hole they tried to drill but the bit went off to one side and almost came out of the bolt boss, almost but not all the way through.
I drilled out the first one that looked the easiest with a 17/32 bit, then tapped it with a 5/8 tap. I then screwed in a 5/8 bolt and sawed it off. I then drilled it and tapped it for a 3/8 bolt. No problems, it worked great.
I decided to try the other one with the same method even though part of the original 3/8 bolt was still in the hole. I was skeptical but proceeded anyway. I took a three hole bracket and bolted up the two good bolts and sacrificed the bracket and drilled it through with the 17/32 bit. After getting it started good I took off the bracket and slowly drilled some of the meat off with a smaller bit. I was careful checking the depth as I went.
When I started tapping out the hole it went fine until the last turn, the tap pushed out the weak side of the boss.
My only question is, can I go ahead and drill it on through, then finish tapping it, put the 5/8 bolt in the hole then saw it off and still use this head with the accessory holes to the back of the engine?
I know I should have just quit while I was ahead, and used that side on the back but the thought of taking that thing to the machine shop in that kind of shape just made me shudder.
Is the head anchor material now or can it be salvaged?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 06:38 PM
boatbob2

hole thru bolt boss,,,,

Hi,i would do as you said,i would drill all the way thru,then tap the hole to the required size,i would take a bolt oil the bolt up good,then run the bolt thru the hole a few times,til it goes thru fairly easy. then i would see (measure) how deep i needed the threaded part to be,after carefully measuring,i i would cut off the size plug i needed (from bolt) then cut a good screwdriver slot into plug (bolt) then wash oil out of hole VERY GOOD with acetone,using a touch up gun,do it really good,same to the plug (bolt) from the back side of the tapped hole,i would take a toothpick and put loctite 268 (its a gel) on the appropriate threads.using a big screwdriver,screw in plug (bolt) til it bottoms (really where the bottom should be)try not to get locktite on upper threads.you might have a hard time removing the bolt you want to use,alternative to the loctite would be,JB WELD,again ONLY on bottom threads..let us know how it worked for you..
Old 09-24-2008, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I guess I should have left that one alone, they really went off to the side when the they tried to drill it out the first time. Too much of the side of the boss was gone into to allow the 5/8 tap to work.
The right side of the back of the hole came out into the intake port. I still wonder if it will be a problem. I was hoping for a little more feedback. I'll try again to attach pics to this post.
Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-3 (3).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	32845   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-4 (2).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	32846  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.