Acetone or Alchol Instead of Wax/Grease Remover? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Last journal entry: Stripping Paint + Buying New Metal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Acetone or Alchol Instead of Wax/Grease Remover?

can you use either one instead? i went to napa and kragen....the guys at kragen could have figured i was speaking greek when i said "wax and grease remover" and i scoured the shelves...definitely didnt have any. the guys at napa said they didnt have any but they "always just use some acetone or alcohol"...seem sorta sketchy to me...

i went to home depot and lowes and they had some stuff like acetone and alcohol and stuff but they also had some degreasers and wax removers and stuff but they reminded me more of like kitchen products than for use cleaning a car so i didnt get those either....would any of those work or should i just order some up?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Tell me what it is your trying to clean. If it's paint related, I can make some suggestions in the right directions. ROCKETMAN
Old 06-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Last journal entry: Stripping Paint + Buying New Metal
Last photo:

final prep before spraying primer and paint.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,115 Posts
NO, do NOT use acetone or alcohol, use the proper products. Acetone is very heavy and can take soak into your substrate, alcohol is too fast and flashes off before you have removed the contaminant. Now, yes, there is alcohol and acetone in some wax and grease removers. But it is blended, AND it is of higher quality.

Read the following basics on wax and grease remover. In it you will find part numbers that your NAPA store can order for you. Your NAPA store isn't a paint mixing store I quess. NAPA has a full paint line called Martin Senour. Even though your store doesn't know much about the products there are some simple primers, solvents, clears and the like that you could be getting thru them if you wanted. Now, it is much better to be buying your products from someone who knows what they are doing. But if you are in a bind you could get it there.

The products listed in the article are ordered by the NAPA store by adding a GAL for gallon in front of the number. They are in the "MS" line (tell them this if they don't know) So you order in the MS line and put the GAL then the number and they can get you any one of them in a day or so.

Brian

Click here for the "Basics of Basics" to Wax and grease removers.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.