Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Achieving Proper Rocker Arm Geometry
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I went with the Miller method. It sounded logical and correct. I have a 351w with Brodix KC 195 17* heads and Scorpion 1.6 rockers, 5/16 valve stems. When I put the stock length push rods in I had a centered pattern about .125 wide. After I increased the push rods maybe .400 ( that I can remember) I narrowed the pattern to .065 and the contact point went out to the outboard side of the valve stem about .060 from running off the end. The push rod side angle almost mirrored the valve tip side. I also had to buy longer rocker studs with a longer shank to accommodate this setup ( They were chevy SB). I was really happy with this and everything works really well.
What would need to happen to fix the industry, even if the rockers had a standard geometery, the relationship of the rocker arm stud angles to the valve angles are all over the map on heads. There is 6* between a 23 * head and my 17* heads, I can't imagine how far outboard the witness mark would have moved with a head with alot more angle.
Anyway, I'm convinced that the miller method is the way to go.
Lou