Acrylic enamel base with a Urethane Clear. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Acrylic enamel base with a Urethane Clear.

About a year ago I painted my car with a solid color Nason acrylic enamel(hardened). The job turned out ok but had a few blemishes that I never addressed. Well I've decided that I would like to clear coat the entire car to give a better overall appearance and so that I can properly finish it(IE: wet sand and buff). I picked up some Finish1 urethane clear for cheap and was wondering if anyone can tell me if there should be any issues with the AE. As for the original paint, should i sand for better adhesion/ to fix blemishes such as orange peel and over spray. I'm excited and nervous at the same time because i would hate to see the entire job ruined by some unforeseen result. Any input or tips would be much appreciated.

I forgot to mention, the AE I used is Nason Ful-Cryl II. Does anyone know how long it should take for the AE to cure before I can coat in Urethane clear because there are a few small areas I would like to clean up and respray before I clear. I cant find anything about the cure time in any of the tech data. Thank you.

Advertisement

Last edited by JeronimoMB; 05-26-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeronimoMB
About a year ago I painted my car with a solid color Nason acrylic enamel(hardened). The job turned out ok but had a few blemishes that I never addressed. Well I've decided that I would like to clear coat the entire car to give a better overall appearance and so that I can properly finish it(IE: wet sand and buff). I picked up some Finish1 urethane clear for cheap and was wondering if anyone can tell me if there should be any issues with the AE. As for the original paint, should i sand for better adhesion/ to fix blemishes such as orange peel and over spray. I'm excited and nervous at the same time because i would hate to see the entire job ruined by some unforeseen result. Any input or tips would be much appreciated.

I forgot to mention, the AE I used is Nason Ful-Cryl II. Does anyone know how long it should take for the AE to cure before I can coat in Urethane clear because there are a few small areas I would like to clean up and respray before I clear. I cant find anything about the cure time in any of the tech data. Thank you.
Is the Enamel Metallic ? if So you cannot sand it. If it is a solid color clean prep sand and re-prep and the clear should bond just fine. If it is metallic you may be Out of Luck. I am sure other can chime in on what to do if it is Metallic

52F1
Old 05-27-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52F1
Is the Enamel Metallic ? if So you cannot sand it. If it is a solid color clean prep sand and re-prep and the clear should bond just fine. If it is metallic you may be Out of Luck. I am sure other can chime in on what to do if it is Metallic

52F1
It is a solid color(orange) luckily. What do you mean "clean prep sand and re-prep"? mOstly what do you mean re-prep?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 PM

Clean with wax and grease remover before sanding so you don't chance getting Wax and grease or anything embeded in the paint while sanding.
After sanding do another prep really well to get it squeeky Clean
52F1
Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM

ok, and do you have any idea about how long any AE I spray to spot repair should cure before I clear?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeronimoMB
ok, and do you have any idea about how long any AE I spray to spot repair should cure before I clear?
No the only one who can tell you how long is the manufacture of your paint
and for that matter you should go to your Jobber and ask him what brand of paint he has for the Job you are attempting to do
No guess Work at all..NEVER

Thge paint comes with Tech sheets
Always follow the instructions
See your Jobber or call the paint manufacture

52F1
Old 05-27-2009, 05:41 PM
boatbob2

paint prep....

HI,i would water sand the entire car BY HAND,using 400 to 600 grit,(for tooth)wash ,dry and use grease and wax remover before ANY sanding.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM

OK this will be my first time using clearcoat so I really have no idea what to expect. If I wetsand with 400-600 grit on the AE and get it leveled the paint will be hazy and dull, the clearcoat should fill the sandmarks and the color will look wet like the original AE? Is this correct?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Wiki Edits: 3

I think I'm in a similar situation as you are; I messed up my SS urethane pretty bad and had to sand a ton to get rid of the scratches; now I don't know if I can just sand it down to 800 and clear or if I need to reapply my base

The tech sheet for my clear (Kirker EC 300) says to sand cured paint with 800 grit before clearing. And I know that when I take wax and grease remover and wipe a thick layer over a panel that's been sanded to 600, it shines, the color comes back, and the scratches disappear.

So hopefully someone with experience can chime in and clarify, but the tech sheet for the clear you plan on using might help out too.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.