Acrylic Enamel vs. Base Coat Clear Coat - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I didnt look at samples or anything i just aksed ball park figure. He just asked what color so he could see if i was getting red. I really dont know if i will get metalic or solid...

I will probally get solid just because it seems like it would be easier to keep. Plus if a solid AE will be comprable to a bc.cc then i can save 500 bucks. But I am not going to put screw myself by cutting off the last 500 dollars and mess up a $14,000 project.

Advertisement

Last edited by 70chevy; 04-28-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 06:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by 70chevy
Can anyone think of a LOGICAL reason he likes acrylic enamel?
Yep. That's what he's used for years and he's most comfortable with. Sounds like he's an old school painter that is set in his ways. If you intend to keep the car garaged and don't intend to keep it for 10 years you'll probably be OK with acrylic enamel. Just keep in mind that it's a lower end paint in today's scheme of things.

Centerline
Old 04-28-2004, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Sorry guys I dont mind to make it sound like this guys is my grandad and it is a matter of honor to make his actions justified...But i still dont think that is it. I want to maybe find out why he really likes it better. He does collision repair and does the bc.cc all the time. So I still think everyones explanations are a little off. Any other ideas?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Re: Painting

Quote:
Originally posted by SPIIRIT
There is absolutely nothing negative about a good quality Acrylic Enamel proprely mixed and applied. In fact, when I shoot it comes out like glass without touching it!

I am amazed at the responses you have gotton so far. Just sounds like lack of experience to me???

Just tell the shooter "No Orangepeel". If he's good he'll know what to do. Check his work, talk to him about it a little, feel him out.

Good luck in any wise.
=============================================
REALLY???
The responses have been from experienced painters my response
comes from the chemistry side.
I would equate this to the Doctor a few years ago that said sex is the equal to running two miles.
So that Doctor has either never had sex or has never run 2 miles!

Coming out like glass is not the concern, put house paint in a sprayer
and it can be laid like glass reduced with water.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

ok so let me ask this who that has replied is a true Professional Painter? And BarryK what do you mean your coming from the chemistry side? I am all ears and eager/willing to learn. Please enlighten me. If you can explain chemically how the two compare that would be great. I was just given the explanation that went a little like as follows:

AE is better for the simple fact that you can buff scratches out and the whole panel does not have to be repainted if you get a dent of bad scratch. I was also told as far as UV durability it was so close that if the AE was less it was not significant. So please tell me if I have bad information. Thanks again.

Also let me ask this, this is purely of my own ignorance but this isn't a battle of old school vs new school is it?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Sounds to me, that no matter what all these guys tell you, you are going to do what you want anyways.....why bother to mask in the 1st place................?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 70chevy
[B]ok so let me ask this who that has replied is a true Professional Painter? And BarryK what do you mean your coming from the chemistry side? I am all ears and eager/willing to learn. Please enlighten me. If you can explain chemically how the two compare that would be great. I was just given the explanation that went a little like as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you must know I have a masters in coatings and oil chemistry.
Short and sweet the only shops that spray AE today is Macco,schrieb and used car allovers for used car lots.
If this guy buys the best AE out there in RED driven everyday you may expect up to two years life At best. I really want to say 1 year for that color. Going back before the lead was mandated out
in mid 80's you could expect 5-10 years of life in most cases.
Nothing this guy has told you is true. If you have not seen enough
responses so far to convince you this guy is wrong, theres no hope.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

I know that is what it sounds like, I just really want to uderstand. I want a way to really compare the two systems rather than personal prefrence. The reason I am so tight on the AE side is it is cheaper, but the reason I keep posting is because I dont want to have a crappy lookin truck in 5 years because i didnt want to spend 500 dollars. Please PLEASE keep the comments coming. I know you guys probally think I am some ***** kid but I am simply trying to get a techinical or definite way to go. I have my dad the painter and spirit telling me it is the best and then i have the rest of you telling me bc.cc is better. Can some one direct me where i can look at specs or tech sheets or two cars with the diffrent finishes. I really do want the truth....
Old 04-28-2004, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

I'll take base/clear urethane over single stage enamel any day. About the only advantage of the enamel in my opinion is price, and maybe you might get the car painted just a little faster. Single stage enamel isn't that bad, I use it alot when I don't want to spend as much money on a paint job. But in my opinion base/clear is a better product. The base/clear won't fade like the singlestage enamel. Base clear is easy to work with, and any little dirt nibs and stuff in the clear sand and buff out fairly easy. If you spray a single stage pearl or metallic and try to wetsand and buff after, the metallic or pearl in the paint will be messed up. It was always my understanding that urethanes are a little more durable then enamels also.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:05 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Are you sure it's acrylic enamel and not acrylic urethane your painter is saying lasts better than a clearcoated finish?

Heres a link to a acrylic urethane that will last and hold it's gloss years longer than any clearcoat could hope. http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/cmg/clv.html
Old 04-28-2004, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Milo it could possibly be the Urethane. I will call him tomorrow and find out. Would it help the painters to see what brand and exactly what paint he uses?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Put it this way.............I painted my Pontiac 12 years ago, with RED BC/CC (Sikkens). It was pretty new technology then. I had never painted with it before and am just a backyard garage painter. The car is garaged most of the time and not driven in the winter. Despite the car now having some bondo and rust problems, it still shines as good as it did when I 1st painted it.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Poncho Do you have any vehicles painted with AE?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by milo
Are you sure it's acrylic enamel and not acrylic urethane your painter is saying lasts better than a clearcoated finish?

Heres a link to a acrylic urethane that will last and hold it's gloss years longer than any clearcoat could hope. http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/cmg/clv.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did not see that stated n PPG web site that it would outlast any clearcoat. That is totally false!!! One most important reason out of another 100 is The "pigments are exposed" to the element's
plus clears have two types of UV's In them and single stage can only use one!
Don't confuse the kid if you don't know.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

I just painted my truck with AE last year. It has a catalyst in it. It looks good, but like I said, it's only been a year. Ask me in 12 years................lol

BTW....my paint guy said that BC/CC would cost me $600 more , so your painters estimate would be about right.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.