Acrylic Enamel vs. Base Coat Clear Coat - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OK Barry you (along with others) sound like you would bet your car on bc.cc over AE, and you say (figuratively i am sure) there are 100 reasons to choose bc/cc. So explain them. I see longevity and uv resistance plus retaining that glossy shine we all love so much. What else is there. Also does anyone own two cars that have the two systems or anyone own a AE painted car that has held up exceptionally well. We have a truck that set out in the weather for 19+ years and with a good waxing it still looked decent (it was the first paintjob my dad did and it was merely decent when it was new)

Poncho that looks awesome to me. Is it garage kept or not? Also is a monthly waxing going to "longevitate" my crisp shine considerably or not? Poncho was the 600 why you went the narrow road of AE or were there other factors?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 70chevy
OK Barry you (along with others) sound like you would bet your car on bc.cc over AE, and you say (figuratively i am sure) there are 100 reasons to choose bc/cc. So explain them. I see longevity and uv resistance plus retaining that glossy shine we all love so much. What else is there. Also does anyone own two cars that have the two systems or anyone own a AE painted car that has held up exceptionally well. We have a truck that set out in the weather for 19+ years and with a good waxing it still looked decent (it was the first paintjob my dad did and it was merely decent when it was new)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, I'm done on this subject. and heres why. your above quote daddy used it 19 years ago and still looks good. Did you not read my post about the lead being taken out? I could write a 30 page dissertation on the comparison. I'm also smart enough to read a post and figure out if the guy is a painter or a do it your selfer. You have had plenty of responses from people who know what they are talking about. so good luck!
Old 04-28-2004, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

sorry to piss you off and no i didnt read that. You posted while i was in the middle of writing my reply below that post I just skipped over it accidentaly! Sorry
Old 04-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:

Poncho that looks awesome to me. Is it garage kept or not? Also is a monthly waxing going to "longevitate" my crisp shine considerably or not? Poncho was the 600 why you went the narrow road of AE or were there other factors?
I used AE on the truck, because, I was short of money and the truck could use new rear fenders, amongst other body parts. I patched up the old ones this time. If I still have the truck in a few years, I will get some better body parts for it.

Just a "Shadetree Mechanics" point of veiw. If you want it to last, go with BC/CC.............but, what do I know.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

I think i will cut my losses and run away with my tail between my legs. Sorry if I inconvienced anyone...I guess next time you can just watch for my screen name and avoid it....Thanks everyone

My intentions were never to make everyone who has been giving their opion seem useless, I simply wanted to get the other side since not a whole lot was chiming in for AE, as it seems there is a reason for this. I am sorry if i offended anyone sorry again.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:51 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Quote:
Milo it could possibly be the Urethane. I will call him tomorrow and find out. Would it help the painters to see what brand and exactly what paint he uses?
thanks man, I also wonder exactly what brand he likes. Alot of people don't like that CLV since it's priced up there and a 3 part paint(like epoxy) on top of being hard to clean up after. Those prices were just for the color. You still need reducer,(s) DCX 61hardner, DX 87 additives to really get it to gloss right.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Dang I missed out. Oh well.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 04-28-2004, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

Go ahead troy weigh in......................................

I dare you!
Old 04-28-2004, 09:58 PM
If it don't go Add Horsepower!

Last photo:

I would definately go with the bc/cc system. The urethane paints are much more durable, and most clear coats have a uv blocker in them. The acrylic enamel is fine too, but you can expect a shorter life span for the paint. My '57 is catalyzed AE, and has about 15 years on it. It looks pretty good in pictures, and from about 10 feet away. When you get close you can definately tell there are some flaws that have showed up. The 57 has been polished about 5 times since painted. I have bc/cc on my motorcycle, about 12 years, haven't had to polsh it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-14-14-10.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1636  
Old 04-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

Troy,
You didn't miss out!! Just because some are bowing out of the discussion, doesn't mean we have to close it. I enjoy reading your posts. As a professional painter of 17 years, I share many of the same thoughts as Barry K. and I'm sure you and I would agree on many ideals as well. No two painters are the same. This subject can get almost as heated as politics and religion. Painters are typically a kooky bunch. We're hard headed, stubborn, narrow minded suckers sometimes, and though you'll never find any two of us who do everything identical, for the most part, we all do the best we can. I used DuPont for nearly 12 years. It was what I could buy locally, so I didn't try anything else. I thought it was the best stuff available. I had a customer bring me a Honda Gold Wing that DuPont didn't have a formula for. PPG had it, so I used it. That one job changed my life! I never used DuPont again. Some guys swear by DuPont, others choose BASF, some go for Martin Senour/Sherwin Williams. Everyone seems to have their favorite.
Then you have the topic at hand, B/C vs. AE vs. single stage urethane........then there will always be someone throw the old lacquer at ya!!
It really boils down to one thing. Use what works well for YOU.
I fought problems with DuPont for all the years I used the crap.
When I started at my present place of employment, we were set up with PPG Global, their 'top of the line', over priced, garbage.
Used that for 6 months and finally told the boss I was calling the shots on the paint system (I'm the painter) or I was outta there!
The next week we installed a PPG Deltron DBC mixing system and I've not had a problem since. That was five years ago.
I know this has swerved severely from our initial topic, but hey, we needed a break, right!!!!

70chevy, if you want to save money, go to the local farm store and see if they carry VanSickle paints. You can get a gallon for around $19.00 and a pint of hardener for $26.00. Thin it 10% with DuPont 3812S and it will lay down great and look super for awhile. It'll stick to everything within 47 miles, but who cares! Chances are it will hold up just as long as AE. Now, you'll have to wax it constantly to keep it shining, but you'll have to do that with single stage acrylic enamel too. That's something you never have to do with clear coated finishes. Waxing sucks!! If you use anything on clear, apply a hand glaze with a cotton diaper.
I completely disagree that AE is easier to fix if you get a nick or scratch. Clear coated finishes are so much easier to apply undetectable blends. You simply do the repair, blend the color and clear the entire panel(s), With single stage, you will see a noticable difference if you have to repair it.
The UV issue is also a valid argument. Think about it. How often do you see a GOOD clearcoated finish chalk out, get that hazy look, you know what I'm talkin' bout! Go out an wax that vehicle your dad painted 19 years ago and look at the rag. How many times can you wax it before the paint is gone?? Depends on how often you wax it and how much paint was applied. Chances are, it would take a long time, but do you really want to take the risk??? OK, you've spent 14k on this thing......WHY are you scrimping on the paint???? The body & paint work is usually the most costly part of a project. If you spray it with AE and it lasts two years, you have to go in, remove it and start over, what have you gained????? On the other hand, if you use a high quality B/C system and it lasts 10-15 or even more years if you can stand the same color that long, then will the cost difference seem that monumental??? I know $500.00 is hard to come by at times, and if you don't have it, you don't have it, but if you've come this far, why not use the best products available?? You need to ask yourself some questions. Think about it before you take the guys advice and decide what YOU want.

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com
Old 04-28-2004, 10:22 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I'm forced by to use both systems..and not have either fail. I piped up when I put myself in the painters place. I get the feeling he wants to do whats best and is confident shooting single stage will work out better. Weather it's enamel or urathane is going to sway my vote. Enamel is for taxi cabs and icecream trucks.

http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=1806
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=2443

Last edited by milo; 04-28-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:36 PM

Paints

Randy gives a pretty good rundown on the whole pictuer I'd say but, two remaining things come to mind...

Why would we paint show car style and then leave it outside all the time?

Secondly...If we don't get tired of any color we choose and just see wallpaper when we look at it after two years I'll eat my hat!

So?...So maby time to chamge color anyway (after you think about it for another year)...LOL!

I guess I just don't have any mercy for another man's wallet...hee hee!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:47 AM

You need to decide what is best for you and your vehicle. I like the bc/cc system.

You can rub out scratches in this system as you stated you could with the enamel or is it eurathane.

If you have put a lot of money into other aspects of the car and plan on keeping it for a while I would strongly suggest bc/cc system.

Don't skimp on the paint job if you haven't on other areas of the car.

Call some local paint houses and maybe other paint and body shops to see what they recommend and why.

I am no painter but the guys I know here in OKC prefer the bc/cc system over anything else.

Here is another thought. If money is tight offer to help this guy out to cut costs.

I didn't want to spend as much money as I was being quoted around here so a friend of mine who is a painter offered to teach me how to do it myself. He teaches at a local tech school here and I enrolled in his night class and I feel pretty confident I could do it myself. It may not look perfect but I won't know until I try.

Oh yea, this painter friend / teacher has also offered to help me out if I get in any trouble, so that will help.

Good Luck and remember you get what you pay for!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

OK,

Randy pretty well says it all.

I agree with every one who posted in favor of BC CC.

And the PPG Deltron is my favorite.

I used marten senor for years, including enamel, lacquer, acrylic lacquer, acrylic enamel, urethane enamel and BC CC. And I got along with there paint system real good. There was a napa store next door to my shop at the time, and they sponsored all of my personal vehicles. As I expanded and moved from that location
I had my own ppg mixing bench. And that is what I've been using for about fifteen years.

Dupont had a system that I really liked, but it didn't last long on the market. It was a lacquer base coat with a urethane clear coat.
I think it was called 502 paint system. It was fast,forgiving,easy to touch up.And had a deep gloss.

If we are doing a fleet of commercial delivery type trucks, we use AE. And thats about all we use it on.

My show car is BC CC ten years old never been waxed, just glazed many times.

If you have a really good paint job, you can stand it for many years. It's called pride.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

Last edited by troy-curt; 04-29-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:55 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by troy-curt
OK,

Randy pretty well says it all.

I like the part where Randy says"PPG had it, so I used it. That one job changed my life! "

I wonder if we tomorrow find out we're really talking "AU" instead of "AE"

Keep us posted 70chevy

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.