Acrylic Enamel vs. Base Coat Clear Coat - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2004, 05:28 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Poncho...that car needs to be sitting in MY garage. You can always change your username. LOL!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

it may be for sale this year.....................only about a 5 hr drive to where I live..................
Old 05-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:

Ok, one last question. This isnt one of ae vs. bccc. I was wondering since milo said that the metalic had to be cleared on the AU could the AU without metalic be cleared for a cheaper bc.cc paintjob? Also assuming that the two paints are compatiable, would that give me a wonderful shine, seeing how the AU is a single stage made to shine and then with cc on top of that.....Comments?
For the painters who so patiently and continously answered my questions, say a kid came into your shop and asked what he could do to cut off a little of the cost is there anything you would tell them to do that isnt terrbily involved and isnt going to affect the overall finished product. If not is there anything you would tell them to do at all to help save? Thanks
Old 05-02-2004, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Acrylic urethane does not have to be cleared no matter if it is a solid or metallic. If it is not cleared and its metallic, it can't really be wetsanded and buffed out afterwards to get rid of any dirt specks or anything in the paint or it will get messed up. Either of them can be cleared, but I don't think it will save you a bunch of money doing it that way compared to just using basecoat clearcoat. You can compare prices. As far as what you can do to save money depends on your abilities. You could probably sand down the paint which isn't that difficult, mainly time consuming. Also you can probably take off parts that you don't want to get painted and possibly tape up the car. With a little practice, maybe do any small body repairs and priming if you have the tools. If you do take off things, if you keep stuff together, even using some masking tape to attatch the screws and bolts to the part it goes with, it can help save time when it comes to put it back together.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:31 PM

However, some ppl will tell you 95% of a great long lasting paint job comes from great prep work. How good can you prep?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:24 AM

Last photo:

I painted my own interior and the only places that are messed up are the places where i knew i should have taken more time. But overall i am very pleased with it. My glovebox started with brush on primer (what a mistake that was) Then i sprayed it with the gun and i just didnt sand it well enough so it was a few waves and one spot i held up paper to avoid sprying my ignition (I was reparing a scratch) and it was on top of clear and you can see the line if you know it is there. Other than than i am really pleased with it. I should have done a little bondoing but didnt. That affects the overall apperance but not the paint. When you say sand the paint, do you mean just roughing up the entire old coat with like 60 grit to have a good adhering surface for primer? I dont know if anyone knows and I am sure it depends on my painter, but take a stab in the dark anyone if you would, if I had it all roughed out and taped to where I pulled the truck in the bay and took the bed off the frame and the front clip off and taped up the engine and the like, what do you think I could save off the paint? I considered doing all the priming myself but I dont really want to mess with anything that will possibly affect the paint...Thanks guys
Old 05-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Use 320 grit, just take the gloss off. You don't need primer except to fill and level repaired places and chips etc. Then a full coat of sealer.

What you save depends on the painter?

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 05-03-2004, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

ok last question...Granted that obviously bc.cc is the supreme of paints. Assuming that bc.cc is a 10 on a scale of 1-10 for overall shine and durablity and the rest of that jazz. What would that place Acrylic Urethane not AE? After that I am done thanks for all your input and sorry i was so tunnel-visioned!

I guess it just goes to show I should expect to pay more for quality....
Old 05-03-2004, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

Old 05-03-2004, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by troy-curt
which cld very well be a 10 in UR book! And you thought this wld be easy didnt ya!
Old 05-04-2004, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

well thanks guys i know i was probally a pain in the .... to deal with but i appreciate it. Sorry i was so persistant on making somthing that wasnt there (AE). Now I feel i can go in and talk to my painter with some education and not let him tell me ae is the best paint ever made and bc.cc sucks. Thanks very much you guys quite possibly saved my truck from crappy paint for the next 6 years!!! In about 2 months i will have pictures posted of it painted. I will start up a forum and post a picture in here and let you guys all know if I went with au or bc.cc. I think i have the money for bc.cc espically with grandparents coming down for graudation! Thanks again
Old 06-04-2004, 02:15 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Here's one that was painted with CLV straight on bondo and fiberglass (in a rush for raceday) with no primer or sealer Friday and was getting the checkered flag at Sears Point Raceway Saturday
Old 06-08-2004, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

I decided to go bc.cc if anybody was wondering what I choose. I am going to shoot the paint myself as well. I just bought all the equipment and am going to be using the PPG Omni line. The color is a dark blue with a metalic flake and pearl in the paint, it is a 2001 saab color. THanks for all the advice and sorry I was so difficult.... If anyone knows any life saving tips i sure would appreciate them. I am going to practice on some spare wheel wells and leftover body panels. Thanks again
Old 01-25-2005, 09:54 PM

don,t use omni if you want ppg use dbc or global.on a half ton truck 2 quarts will be enough
Old 01-25-2005, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

Alvin, you should check the dates on the thread you are posting on. That car was probably painted last July,,

Troy

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.