Acrylic primer instead of 2-Part? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2003, 10:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Acrylic primer instead of 2-Part?

What's the story on using acrylic primers under urethane topcoats? When I did my first BC/CC job in 1998, I used some old Dupont Fill-n-Sand Acrylic Primer Surfacer. The jobber told me that I had made a mistake, and should use only 2-part primers under BC/CC for optimum adhesion and color hold-out. Of course, the 2-part primers are much more expensive. I've followed that advice on several jobs since then. It occurred to me today, that the sealer is a 1-part, ready to spray material. It would seem that using a 1-part material between the 2-part primer and 2-part topcoat would be a weak link in the system. Besides, I still have three of the cars I've painted, and I honestly cannot see any difference between the one that I used the Fill-n-Sand on back in 1998, and the other two on which I used 2-part primers. Can anybody tell me why I shouldn't use the less-expensive acrylic primers?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2003, 07:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

When it comes to mixing and matching paint I've found that it usually doesn't work anymore.

Rather than guess what will work it's always better to go with what the "P" sheet recommends. Chances are you're jobber knows what he's talking about and his advise is based on his knowledge of the "P" sheets. That doesn't mean you can't have success using a something other than what he recommends, just that the chances are greater for success if you follow the product's directions.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com
Old 12-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I still use a lot of the acrylic fast fill easy sand primers, and have scents it came out, have never had any problem with it. However I use a two part urethane sealer over it always.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 12-29-2003, 02:59 AM
back to action!

Last photo:

as posted above, i also always use a 2-part sealer although i use a 2-part primer also. i used to use the acrylic stuff and while most jobs came out nice there were always the odd ones that after spraying the top coat i would have sand swelling problems. so to be safe i go with the more expensive primer. i am very happy with it and find it is worth the extra cost. to see how tough it can be let it dry in your gun once like i did. also as posted, follow the jobbers advice or read the paint manuals like i have for dupont to see what works with what. it's a big help because the the people i used to ask for advice thought i'd want their special short cut advice what of course i didnt. yes i know a guy who thins paint with gas to save money!
Old 01-01-2004, 11:09 AM

Old Dupont instructions

I dug out some old Dupont brochures from the late 90's in which Fill-n-Sand (acrylic) was the recommended primer surfacer for use under their ChromaBase urethane basecoat. They still sell Fill-n-Sand, but their new brochures say to use the more expensive 2-part primers. So....why are they still selling Fill-N-Sand?
Old 01-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have used the acrylic stuff several times with good results. Some I shot urethane directly on top and some I have used two part epoxy sealer. The one problem I had was on my S-10 hood. I used the high build acrylic for sanding scratch filler and shot the epoxy over it. I wet sanded the epoxy to a perfect finish and shot the top coat. Low and behold a couple days later I notices sanding scratches again. Seems the filler shrunk. A buddy of mine who runs a body shop was not even a little surprised. Apparently you need to let the acrylic set for a week or so before final sanding and sealing it. I only waited a day or so. Lessons learned....

Chris
Old 01-02-2004, 01:45 PM

When painting something I want to last I have always used the recommend, same makers product. But I have mixed and matched for years and never had a problem on other projects.
the biggest thing is if you have a problem and have all one makers product on the surface then they can not pass blame off. If you use brand x primer and brand y paint and it lifts both will blame the other. Thing is even if it is all brand x's they will still say it was your fault for bad prep, gun what ever. I have had only one problem over the years and the paint supplier was a total ***** about it saying it could not have been his product, the seller helped me out but the MFG did nothing.

As to the 2 part primer, I still use primer on many things that everyone says will not work but I was using them 20 years ago and they worked so why now just because they make something that cost more do I need to change?

Again for something that I want to last a long time I use the best that I can but lets face it who here ever painted something they needed to have last 10 years? (excluding pro shops, you guys are held to your work and have to do things differently)
Heck in 2 years or less I will have sold it or gotten tired and repainted it, what ever it is.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.