Hot Rod Forum banner

Adapting Tech From The Old Days...

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Viet Nam Vette 
#1 ·
Just installed an aftermarket A/C system on my 65 Vette with a BB502. When I kick on the A/C .. The RPM's drop about 150 which brings me down to about 550 RPM. In the old days the seventies cars used a solenoid on a bracket that popped out and pusehed the throttle linkage up to compensate for the drop in RPM.

I checked Summit and Barry Grant and they have Na-Da... Anyone you kow making something that will work?

Other wise it's a trip to the Junkyard looking for 70's cars..

#3 ·
#4 ·
Believe me, I have thought about it.. :rolleyes: And I'm sure it's the same reason why Nairb went to work for Speedway. :D \

later, mikey

#5 ·
Viet Nam Vette said:
Just installed an aftermarket A/C system on my 65 Vette with a BB502. When I kick on the A/C .. The RPM's drop about 150 which brings me down to about 550 RPM. In the old days the seventies cars used a solenoid on a bracket that popped out and pusehed the throttle linkage up to compensate for the drop in RPM.

I checked Summit and Barry Grant and they have Na-Da... Anyone you kow making something that will work?

Other wise it's a trip to the Junkyard looking for 70's cars..

Doc here, :pimp:

If you remember WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Back...

The original part you were seeking was called a "DASHPOT" and was Vacuum operated!..

80 to mid 80's Q~jets still have em too..(mine does anyways..) so that's another Rock to look under..

Worse comes to worse...ANY adjustable 12 volt solenoid can be used IF you can Fabricate a Mount for it..(like a door Lock popper)

Doc :pimp:

#6 ·
docvette said:
Doc here, :pimp:

If you remember WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Back...

The original part you were seeking was called a "DASHPOT" and was Vacuum operated!..

80 to mid 80's Q~jets still have em too..(mine does anyways..) so that's another Rock to look under..

Worse comes to worse...ANY adjustable 12 volt solenoid can be used IF you can Fabricate a Mount for it..(like a door Lock popper)

Doc :pimp:
Thanks Doc.. Good call..

A friend of mine says he's got a "NAPA" Part number for a Idol Compensation Solenoid that sells for about $20 or so Bucks. I'll post it when I get the number.

:thumbup:

#7 ·
Went with this Solenoid...

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=7791904

It doesn't look like this one pictured ..but does look like the Edelbrock unit with the rubber boot on the back end. It also has a 4 " tail wire coming out the rear with an enclosed crimp on terminal.

Now the problem is.... It won't work with the Barry Grant Mighty Demon I have. The Holey 20-9 Solenoid Bracket designed to mount on the Holey carb front left hand side..will not work on the BG due to the Acceerator pump linkage interfearence on the BG, even though the BG has the threaded bracket mounting holes their the same as the Holey.

I called BG and they said ...Sorry.....we have no bracket available.

Back to Square one...!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.