Add your tips to conserve gas here! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Add your tips to conserve gas here!

So we've got thread after thread about high gas prices. What can we do to save ourpocketbooks?

If anybody has tips on saving gasoline, list them in this tread. One comon, very effective measure is to reduce your speed on the highway. In michigan, speed limits are 70mph, and most people drive 70-80. Most cars, however, get greatest fuel economy at 55-65mph. For example, my mother's car is a civic. When I drive it (btw 70 and 80) I get maybe 30 mpg. She reports driving about 55-60 and gets 40-44 mpg, which is more than a 25% increase.

Its not only economically sound, but I think as gas prices are going up we all need to do our part to cut back as much as possible on our usage, especially as supply drops. Every gallon you save is a gallon less being used. Period.

ANy other tips?

K

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gas

Get out of the drive thru line at the bank, mc donalds etc,,, and shut the car off and go inside.....

Keith
Old 09-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Buy one of these or something similar.

My 94 gets 45 mpg. My son will start driving it to school next week.
My wife will start driving our 96 4-door to work next week, I will have the engine in it by Saturday.
I just put the 95, pictured above, in storage. It has a noise in the transmission. I suppose I should tear it apart and see what all the racket is. I was going to sell it but with the way gas prices are going it is worth fixing for our own use.
If I lived in the city I would be riding a bus.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Killer is right about speed.

Last week going to FL I kept the cruise at 79 and i have one of those MPG things that averages every 100 miles. 16.6 going.

Coming back Sunday kept cruise at 85 and got 16.2.

Also, check air pressure. This new boat calls for 32lbs but it rides mushy and thats what the manufacture wants is a nice soft ride.
Today I jacked all the tires up to 38 lbs and we will go from there.
May need to be 40 or 44 but we will figure it out with handling and gas millage.

Last edited by BarryK; 09-01-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Make sure your air filter is clean
Adjust your tire pressure.
Change plugs,or make sure the gap is correct
Consolidate trips. Go to the bank,drycleaners,etc. in one trip,instead of 4 or 5.
Cruise control while on the Interstates.

DO NOT DRAFT behind tractor/trailers on the road.You are reducing their mileage because you are a cheap ***hole. That is costing them more money because of the drag you are adding to them,even though you are not hooked to us,it messes with our mileage!!! Not to mention it is dangerous. If a truck slams on his brakes suddenley because of a traffic jam or obstacle in the road.You may find out what an ICC bumper will do to your car or face.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Trade your Chevy (or Ford etc..) for a Schwinn, or use those things above your feet and under your brain as daily transportation. After being cut off today on my way home from work, I may also advocate 'jacking the car of the next moron to test your reaction time. Only if it would get better milage than your present ride....

In a while, Chet.

BTW, no morons were 'jacked prior to my typing this.... LOL!
Old 09-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCastle
Make sure your air filter is clean
Adjust your tire pressure.
Change plugs,or make sure the gap is correct
Consolidate trips. Go to the bank,drycleaners,etc. in one trip,instead of 4 or 5.
Cruise control while on the Interstates.

DO NOT DRAFT behind tractor/trailers on the road.You are reducing their mileage because you are a cheap ***hole. That is costing them more money because of the drag you are adding to them,even though you are not hooked to us,it messes with our mileage!!! Not to mention it is dangerous. If a truck slams on his brakes suddenley because of a traffic jam or obstacle in the road.You may find out what an ICC bumper will do to your car or face.
You can safely go to 40 pounds on tires. That realy cut's rolling resistance as well as full syn. fluids.

I don't know about the cruise control, It might keep you from doing 80 but it can't compensate for hills till the engine is under a load and using more gas. A driver see's the hill coming and can get a decent run at it without placing the engine under a load. I havent had that since...ummm...

Drafting is dangerous, and doesn't really save you anything anyway. The affects are marginal at best. You gotta be within a three feet of a bumper to tell a difference.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:28 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Consolidate trips, try to run your errands on the way to/from work.
Make sure your car is tuned up.
Slowly stop or start.
If it's a stick, shift as soon as possible without bogging the engine.
Take out any excess weight that isn't necessary to haul around in the car.
Try not to drive during rush hour so you can keep a constant speed.

Shutting the car off instead of waiting in a drive thru isn't better. It takes as much fuel to start an engine as it does to let it idle for 5-10 mins or so.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

Cruise control will help. We have fuel useage meters on our trucks. I can hook a computer up to it and tell when cruise was on or when it was off.Plus see the mileage offset from cruise on/off. And that is in a truck that pulss thousands of lbs,compared to a car pulling around a conservative figure of 400 lbs total.Hills and such will change things,but they would do that more without cruise.You are more apt to push the accelerator down a little further to get up the hill a little quicker,thean you are to allow the engine to do the work and get the rpms up and pull itself uphill gradually.

I do not even have cruise in my SHO.It died and I have not figure it out as to why yet. I leave Saturday for Indy,glad it is all flat land from here.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

Castle,

99 times out of 100 when cruise dies its a hairline crack in the vacuum hose at the unit under the hood. Usually two short hoses.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78novaman
Consolidate trips, try to run your errands on the way to/from work.
Make sure your car is tuned up.
Slowly stop or start.
If it's a stick, shift as soon as possible without bogging the engine.
Take out any excess weight that isn't necessary to haul around in the car.
Try not to drive during rush hour so you can keep a constant speed.

Shutting the car off instead of waiting in a drive thru isn't better. It takes as much fuel to start an engine as it does to let it idle for 5-10 mins or so.

The car will only use more gas at start up if it is carbed and you have to pump it to start it. Ideling for 5 minutes will use more fuel than required to start a properly tuned carbed engine or a EFI engine.
Peer down your carb at start up.If you crank the key and do not have to pump the throttle,you will barely notice the fuel required for startup.Especially if the engine is already warm,as it would be from driving somewhere and going in.Now sit there and watch the fuel droplets at idle for 5-10 minutes. More fuel will drip to keep it running. Of course this will not apply to the carbed car that you must give a shot of fuel to to get started.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:06 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Going back and forth to school I usually run 80-90 which is a steady 3300-3600 rpms. That with my around town lead foot driving I get 23-25MPG. I'm going to try and keep my speed under 70, and I'll accelarate lightly, rather than my usuall 4000 rpm 1-2-3-4 shifting. I'm hoping for 28-29 mpg.

Lots of good tips so far, new air cleaner, up the tire pressure, and dare I switch the Honda over to AMSoil at 232,000 miles?

Guys Read THIS

Taken from the above article.

"When you're driving across town, in stop-and-go traffic," says Frank Hampshire, director of market research with the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association, or AASA, "it's more fuel efficient to drive with the air conditioning off, windows down."

Consumer Reports' auto-test department reports that the air conditioner reduces your car's fuel efficiency by up to 10 percent. So to achieve maximum fuel efficiency, motorists should avoid using the air conditioner at speeds below 40 mph and travel with their windows down, explains Gabe Shenhar, senior auto test engineer at Consumer Report's auto-test department.

"But as your speed increases to 45 mph, or highway speeds," says Jason Toews, co-founder of GasBuddy.com, "wind drag becomes an issue. Driving with the windows down increases the drag on your vehicle, resulting in decreased fuel economy by up to 10 percent. Drive at speeds over 55 mph with windows down and you'll decrease fuel economy by up to 20 percent or greater."

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 09-01-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:08 PM
I Wear 1 Pair of Sox at a Time

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

downtown chicago $4.99/ gal 92 octane. 3.49-3.89 for regular locally

i dont care who you are..... ouch!

--------------------------

would running a snorkel air cleaner with a opening the size of a nickle help mileage?

Last edited by spinn; 09-01-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:21 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I "only" paid $3.13 today for regular.

sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into another "I paid this much" thread.

I'm going to try and follow a big truck or SUV when I'm on the highway, let them move the air for me.

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 09-01-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Ghetto I would not recommend the switch to synthetic on your honda. I am going to ride my motorcycle to work,if I could figure out how to get my three kids on it also I would be set.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.