added 144 blower to sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

added 144 blower to sbc

hey guys ,,, i need some help with this overheating problem,, just addd a 144 blower tomy sbc in my 41 plymouth coupe and ever since i put it on i`m having high temp problems ,,, it was never like this before ,,, its no blowing the cap or any fluid but climbs to over 230 degrees pretty quick and the blower starts to ping ,,,, what the heck can i do ? thanks for any input

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 PM

More info please ,carb,timing, spark plugs,heads, rad dist. etc
Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

All the details of your build, matter.

if you just bolted it on, the carb and ignition will need modification.
The engine must have a low compression ratio. low is better.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:51 PM

okay here it is

194 valves hei distributor brand new holley 750 double pump mechanical secondarys running auto lite plugs just pulled one and is a lite tan to brown color on electrode radiator is from god knows where but worked just fine before adding the blower ,,, also no more fan on the motor had to go with a 14 inch electric due to belt clearence issues ,,,,, please help i`m done pullin my air and getting ready to pick up the hammer ,,,lol jk i love my ride it`s just p!##!^g me off the goodguys show in pocono is next weekend and i wanted to go ,,,, in MY CAR thanks uys for any help btw it has a long water pump
Old 09-14-2010, 02:53 PM

oh

and forgot compression is 8.5/9 thanx again
Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

IF the coolant is circulating properly and the tstat is opening it means 1 of 2 things. If it only overheats in slow traffic/idle you need a better fan, a single 14" electric fan is kind of a joke so I'm betting its that.

If it overheats on the freeway too you need a bigger radiator.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudog63
and forgot compression is 8.5/9 thanx again
Not to be rude, but this tells me you have no clue what the SCR of the motor is and therefore have no business bolting a blower on it. And it's not the blower pinging, it's detonation in the chamber.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you dont fix the detonation soon, overheating will be the least of your issues

Chet
Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Well unless you get it all reworked you won;t be going IN YOU CAR. unless its on the back of a trailer.

The smaller fan is probabily the issue. A electric fan that will cool that motor will cost $350+ You need to the same or more CFM air flow as the old mechanical fan and thats a lot lot lot more than most elect fans move.

The blower requires less timing at WOT while under boost. You cannot just retard the distributor timing to get this as then the timing is retarded all the time. This makes the motor run hot. You need to recurve the distributor to get the right curve. The stocfk distributor curve will not work.
More initial at idle, 18-26 deg less mechanical advance travel 8-10 deg advance and
28-30 deg at max advance under boost.

The vacuum advance vacuum hose must be connected to the intake manifold, not to the carb on a supercharged motor. The amount of vacuum advance and the rate will need to be worked on too.

You want cooler heat range non projected tip plugs. What heads are on your motor.??

Carb power valve" The power valve must also be sourced off the intake manifold below the blower too or the signal is wrong and will cause lean out under boost.

(on low boost applications a high 10.5" vacuum rated power vavel will get it done.) You need to go for a ride with a vacuum gauge on the the carb base and another on the intake manifold and observe the vac gauge on the carb as the boost comes in. If that carb gauge exceeds the value of the 10.5" power valve ,
you must Boost reference the power valve.
750 Dp jetting: jet 76 primary and 88secondary and 10.5 power valve.
A stock cam will crate excessive cylinder pressure and limit power.

Get a cam with a dual pattern wide LSA and more than stock duration.
like Summit # 1105 224-234-.465-.488- 114

if the motor has flat top pistons and 64cc heads the compression ratio will be too high for pump gas. You want dished pistons and large 76 chamber heads for a low low compression ratio. Ideal is 7.5:1 for high boost with little or no spark retard
8.5:1 is ok with limited boost and some spark retard.
You must use high octane premimum fuel. 92 or better.
87 octane will not work. 9:1 will not allow enough boost to make it work having the blower without high octane race gas or water/methanol injection.

You must have a big rad and a big fan and a fan shroud. A little crappy electric fan is not going to cool it. A little crappy old rad is not going to cool it.

What are the heads? what spark plugs, what timing? idle, max advance, vac advance, what is the blower pulley drive ratio. (pulley diameters)
what cam is in this motor? what pistons?
post a pic of your rad and fan.

I suggest you remove the blower, reinstall the big mechanical fan and go enjoy
The Pocono's. When you get it all sorted out, reinstall the blower.

Otherwise all you will achieve is grief and a busted motor.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:35 PM

hey mister know it al

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Not to be rude, but this tells me you have no clue what the SCR of the motor is and therefore have no business bolting a blower on it. And it's not the blower pinging, it's detonation in the chamber.
i came on here to ask some questions not get talked down to by you jerk, the 8.5/9 was atypo and was supose to be 8.5/1 but since i don`t spend all my time honing my typing skills like you obviously do trying to demean others i actually work on my own stuff and thought i could come here for some civil advise not to be called names like a little kid ,,, f-bird 88 and turbolover are the kind of people that are helpfull not you ya jerk so keep your limp dick opinions to your self ,, if you talked to me like that face to face that picture of you would be wearing dark glasses to cover up what happened to you right after you said it
Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
Quote:
i came on here to ask some questions not get talked down to by you jerk, the 8.5/9 was atypo and was supose to be 8.5/1 but since i don`t spend all my time honing my typing skills like you obviously do trying to demean others i actually work on my own stuff and thought i could come here for some civil advise not to be called names like a little kid ,,, f-bird 88 and turbolover are the kind of people that are helpfull not you ya jerk so keep your limp dick opinions to your self ,, if you talked to me like that face to face that picture of you would be wearing dark glasses to cover up what happened to you right after you said it
The typical response of the ignorant, to resort to name-calling and violence because they're ashamed and don't have the skills to deal with it. You're pathetic.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Tech-Inspector Gadget is MUCH more mild mannered and gentler than I am, what he said was dead on. Most people have no clue what their compression is- they think they know about where it is (as a 8.5/9 would indicate). If you don't know what it is then adding any kind of boost is a BAD IDEA, and can lead to catastrophic failure.

How are we to know you can measure and calculate compression but you can't type? More often than not that is NOT the case.

I appreciate the kind words on my behalf, but that does not excuse hostility towards others, especially when their comments were caused from your mistakes.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
AKA Lee in KC

Last photo:

rudog63, techinspector1 is one of the most knowledgeable and highly respected members of this forum. This appears to be your first posting on Hotrodders. You are not going to be around here very long if you can't handle a little criticism or push-back. The moderators don't take too kindly to name calling and threats.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNTRCI-T
rudog63, techinspector1 is one of the most knowledgeable and highly respected members of this forum. This appears to be your first posting on Hotrodders. You are not going to be around here very long if you can't handle a little criticism or push-back. The moderators don't take too kindly to name calling and threats.
I couldn't agree more.

Thanks Techinspector1 for all the help you have given me, and others.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Yo rudog63, everyone on here knows that tech is one of the most helpful guys on this site. He tells it like it is and thats what you want when you're trying to get answers. You need to adjust your timing curve, and check out your cooling system. A bigger fan will be necessary no matter what you do.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.