Hot Rod Forum banner

Adding airbags to a drop axle?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chief36chevy 
#1 ·
Just thinking out loud here......I was looking at an Air Ride catalog last night. They have a fairly small sleeve style airbag/shock combo they recommend for the rear of trucks like mine (light- '37 ford). They also say it could be used on a leaf spring setup.....basically pull some leaves to lower/soften the vehicle and use the airbags for ride height and load carrying.
I'm wondering why you couldn't do the same for the front? Drop the front to where you want it, and fab mounts for this smaller airbag/shock combo basically in place of the regular shock and air up for increased ride height when needed.
My front end currently has a 4" drop axle. If I do a reverse eye Posie spring, it'll drop it another 2"....right where I want it. (but too low for my dirt road going home)
I already have a Firestone air pump....if the airbag/shocks will physically fit, it should work.....no?

See less See more
#2 ·
There is no reason why that won't work, a few years ago, I did the same thing on the back of a 56 f100 with a corvette IRS, it worked great.

later, mikey

#3 ·
I did something a little different. I had Posses build me a set of springs for the front of my 36 Chevy truck with an additional 2” of arch. I then mounted my axle to the top of the springs. When I got it all together and got weight on my axle I found that I found that I only had 1½” of space between the axle bumper and the frame, bummer. My plan now is to mount air shocks to add a little height.
I have this in my photo journal, but have not mounted the air shocks yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.