Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Adding compressor storage tank
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
As long as the tank is rated to at least the same pressure as the main tank a relief valve is not necessary, the valve discharge rate has to exceed the pump CFM rating and tank volume doesn't matter. As for what you want it for that will work unless the compressor is too small, I would not add more than about 20% to the original volume and certainly no more than 25%. if the compressor is a large one with a 100% duty cycle this is not going to be nearly as critical. The cooling tank ("Thump tanks" is what we called them) should be plumbed into the system well downstream of the main tank for best results, plumbing in really close will largely negate the benefits. Then the "in" supply pipe should be near the bottom of the tank with the take-off point at the top, it is best if the air enters from the side near the bottom and not directly up from the bottom. In any case use ONLY existing fittings /ports on the tank and never attempt to weld extra ports to the tank, one of the catastrophic ruptures I saw was because of doing this. Basically never weld on a tank for any reason.
^^^^^^that pretty well covers it