Adding Cruise Control to Street Rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 01:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Adding Cruise Control to Street Rod

I am street rodding a 1939 Olds after a frame off restoration. We have a 1971 Olds 350 engine, QJet carb, TH2004R, transmission, HEI, and no computer.

What kind of kit do I look for to add cruise control, and how is the control mounted on a plain Ididit column?

Would a late model GM column with cruise control on the stalk work with a new kit?

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Maybe, if you have a wiring diagram for the column and the unit.

I have found that aftermarket CC units are crap. Maybe, you can adapt a factory one.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:54 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

John,

I put an Audiovox Universal Cruise on my '32 and I'm very happy with it (especially considering the $90 price tag). It has button controls (not a stalk/lever) which I mounted in an inconspicuous spot below the dash. I have 9,000 miles on it and haven't had any problems. The only drawback I can see is that the installation sheet is not very good and I had to search out a couple sites on the web to that sort of walk you through the installation and calibration of the unit. BTW, for some additional bucks you can get a stalk mounted control switch.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Last photo:

I agree with Ponch, most if not all aftermarket CC's are garbage. I would adapt a late model GM unit to the street rod. The criuse in my 90 Chevy full size truck is all electronic, with zero vacuum lines. It has been bullet proof since new. When I finish my 34 I will be looking at that model truck for a cruise control. I would stay away from the later models as they interact with the VCM (vehicle control module) too much to be adaptable to a street rod unless you are running the engine and trans that the VCM is controlling.

Vince
Old 11-12-2004, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

Aaaaaaaaaaay, you callin' my cruise control junk? Put up your dukes.

Dewey
Old 11-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by cboy
Aaaaaaaaaaay, you callin' my cruise control junk? Put up your dukes.

Dewey
Left a disqualifer in there , most if not all.

Vince
Old 11-13-2004, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Not to worry. There are a lot of people who would agree with you about the aftermarket cruises. My personal opinion, at least about the Audiovox, is that they would have a much higher percentage of happy customers if they would spend some time to write a decent installation/troubleshooting manual.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Last photo:

I think it would be an easy matter to adapt a 90's model Chevy truck cruise to a streetrod. the cruise on my truck is one box. You could use a speedo trigger for an electronic speedo from AutoMeter or VDO and tie it into the GM cruise control. I think it would make a sweet installation.

Vince
Old 11-13-2004, 11:30 PM

Last journal entry: Got the backside done (more or less)
Last photo:

I dunno if I would knock all after-market units. Over the years I have installed several vacuum types with varying degrees of success, but for my current project I purchased and installed a Global Cruise Rostra all electronic unit...

http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm

While I cannot vouch for how well it works since I am not on the road yet, what articles I have found all say good things. The instructions were easy to understand (never got that "these instructions have been poorly translated from some other language feeling"). The controls are on a (good looking) wand that I installed on my Ididit column as the turn signal control (fishing the wires down to a hole I drilled was not my favorite sub-project).
It is quite a bit more expensive that the vacuum units (which is probably a good thing).

Last spring I purchased and installed an Audiovox unit on my motorcycle. Installed 2 magnets on the rear wheel for the pick up. Couldn't get it to kick in below 35 mph. Called the tech line. The guy was very rude and just looking for a reason to get rid of me. At first I was vague about what it was installed in. Finally told him. Waa-Laa, now he had his reason to get rid of me, which he did. Ain't no difference between my installation and magnets on a drive shaft. Anyway, wont be buying anymore of their stuff.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I installed one of those 80s GM vacuum operated controls with the remote pot metal case that two speedo cables go into on my buddie's '42 Willys truck. Beauty of this unit is the control is 1 inconspicuous button in the end of the turn signal. There are no markings whatsoever so unless you know it's there, you have no clue the truck has cruise. Had to check out a dozen or so control units at the junk yard to find one that didn't have spun/frozen bearings on the internal workings. But we finally found one that looked good. We hid the box back under the bed of the truck near the speedo shaft on the tranny so there is zero evidence inside or outside the truck that it has speed control and it has worked perfectly for many miles over the last 12 years.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:53 AM

Last journal entry: Got the backside done (more or less)
Last photo:

Willys,

All units I can remember typically have... set/coat, resume/accel. on/off.
With only one button whats the deal, just 'set/coast'?
Old 11-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I don't recall all the protocol but it has all the features. As I recall, quick tap sets it, hold the button down accelerates, maybe double tap and hold second tap coasts, tap the brake pedal turns it off. Anyway, it is a really neat setup and best of all comes pre-installed in a stock GM column from the junk yard and you know how much I love getting parts from the junk yard! Here is the column installed in his truck. Photos don't show the button unfortunately.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

First unit I had was a Audio Vox, mounted it on a Model A. For those of you who are familiar with the A, there isn't much room under the dash, so I had to go under the car, being a Roadster I don't drive in the rain if possible so I thought I would be safe. Worked fine for about a year then it would engage but after a couple of miles it would drop out, tried everything finally took it out and replaced it with a Global all electric, that has never worked, lights are on but no one's home, anyone have any ideas let me know.

Thanks
Jim
Old 01-12-2006, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jigs
Worked fine for about a year then it would engage but after a couple of miles it would drop out, tried everything finally took it out...[snip]
I'm no help on your new Global unit but, like you, I also had to mount my AudioVox down on the frame of my 32 pickup where it is exposed to the elements (wind, rain, etc). I had some cutting out trouble whenever it rained so I fashioned a simple aluminum "shield" that covers the part of the unit where all the wiring goes in. This has solved the problem (so far). I also had a problem because my brake light sending unit (which also cuts out the cruise when tapped) is also under the car and exposed. I twice had rain kick up under the car and tear the cruise control electrical lead right off the sending unit. This is a major league danger in that once the lead is disconnected it NO LONGER disengages the cruise when you tap the brake. The first time this happened it caught me totally by surprised. I was doing 55 with the cruise on and the car ahead of mean suddenly decided to turn left...and I found myself barreling down on them at 55 mph...with the brake peddle to the floor. (It left a very nice set of skid marks for about 100 feet). I finally figured out what was happening and reached town to hit the manual "off" button...but sure had the adrenaline going. Moral of the story, make sure all of your electrical connections are correct, secure and not exposed to moisture or a lot of turbulence.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

I have installed several of the Audiovox units with no problems so far. Instead of the magnets on the driveshaft, I use a Ford inline speedo cable signal generator. Ididit has a turn signal switch with the cruise buttons built in that will work with the Audiovox cruise, it will also work with the Rostra cruise.

If you have an electronic speedo, that will give a signal for the cruise too.

The old GM cruise is good too. Only Oldsmobile and Caddy had the resume feature, the rest had to be reset every time.

I have installed the late GM cruise in several cars, but always with EFI engines. They are particular about the signal they receive, the aftermarkets ones will work with a sine wave generator, the GM cruise needs a square wave signal. Painless makes a signal generator that will work, but it's $85. Otherwise they will work fine with a carbureted engine. You do need a tach signal too.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.