Adding different fenders - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Adding different fenders

Guys, I want to change out rear fenders on my truck. I can't bolt them on due to limited space. (I have to hammer down the fender lip). Thinking about welding them along the entire length and then blending with filler.
I have access to gas and mig. Need some advise on the welding part.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 AM

adding different fenders

What sort of a truck is it?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
That looks like a very straight old Ute or something! What the heck is it? I'll tell you what I think, I would seriously think about welding on those fenders, in my opinion that would be a big mistake. First, be sure you have a lot of room around the car, prop the fender up there better so you can remove that wood. Put a tire on there like you want and stand back and look at it. Uncover the car, stand back at different angles and good a REAL good look at it to see if it is what you are after.

Second, gas welding it on, BAD IDEA, you will warp that quarter panel all to hell. Even with the MIG, unless you are VERY experianced, you will warp it all to hell with it too.

It is VERY difficult to pull that off because you can't work the metal after welding, on that particular project you must do the welding VERY slow. A quarter inch bead leaving many feet between each one allowing each to cool GOOD before welding near it again.

But I can't say it enough, that rig looks VERY cool and VERY nice, I would seriously reconsider such a mod on it.

If you did, think about modifying the fender instead of the body. Flatten out that lip on the back and make the fender a bolt on.

And really, what the heck is it? It looks like a 50 Dodge Ute.

Brian
Old 04-09-2009, 12:09 PM

The original cut down fenders do not flow well with the rest of the body. See the pic below. The larger fenders look better and would allow better tire options with the Ford 8" axle I am installing.

I've had the truck for years. Its a one owner 51 Ply station wagon, conveted back in the mid fifties. Has some unique metal work done by someone who knew what they were doing. It came out of Modesto, Ca and I've wondered if it was done at Gene Winfields Modesto shop.

I know about the possible panel warping with welding. How about short stich welding it every six inches around the fender and then finishing off with filler?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
I'm sorry, that truck is way to cool and I would search out it's history. It may be something worth restoring and not rodding. Or at the very least rodding the drive train but leaving all that wonderful fabrication work they did so long ago.

I do see 56 Chevy side mouldings there.

If I were to want wider those fenders,I think about modifying those, how about doing just that? Or a better idea so those cool fenders don't get messed up make new ones that will bolt in just as those are.

The width of the rear end doesn't have a lot to do with it. You can get wheels with different offset or and width to do just about anything you want.

I would SERIOUSLY think about working around what is there.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.