adding on a extra compressor tank - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

adding on a extra compressor tank

i just bought a new compressor 26 gallon. my old one is a 32 gallon. can i somehow add on my old tank to my new compressor so that ill have both tanks running. or will i burn out the motor. if possible let me know your suggestion on how i should do this. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2006, 07:26 PM

I Have Often Wandered About That Also I Have An 80 Gallon Tank With A 7 Hp And Also A 60 Gallon Compressor That Doesnt Work, I Would Like To Tie Them Into Together, Any One Ever Done This? Mike.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

This has been covered many times before and tons of info can be found if you do a search on "compressor". It would be a waste of effort in both cases and could cause problems because of the long run cycle. A bigger tank DOES NOT make a bigger compressor and tank size only controls the on/off cycle rate, it does not determine how much air your compressor will produce contrary to popular myth. Fellows it is simple laws of physics your tank can not put out more air than the pump puts in. A compressor's ability to keep up with tools is determined by the pump output (SCFM) and increasing tank size will not change this it will only cause longer and fewer run cycles which could very well damage the pump due to excess heat.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 AM

thanks for info oldred, mike.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
This has been covered many times before and tons of info can be found if you do a search on "compressor". It would be a waste of effort in both cases and could cause problems because of the long run cycle. A bigger tank DOES NOT make a bigger compressor and tank size only controls the on/off cycle rate, it does not determine how much air your compressor will produce contrary to popular myth. Fellows it is simple laws of physics your tank can not put out more air than the pump puts in. A compressor's ability to keep up with tools is determined by the pump output (SCFM) and increasing tank size will not change this it will only cause longer and fewer run cycles which could very well damage the pump due to excess heat.

So this explains why the "extra air tank" that my employer installed for our window frame clamp does absolutely nothing. Good reading. Learned my one new thing for the day.

In a while, Chet.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

Not exactly sure what you mean about the extra tank and window frame clamp. It is a very common myth that adding extra tank capacity will increase a compressors performance but in reality it only changes the off/on cycle rate. The only time you can gain any thing from a larger tank is in the unusual instance where you need a large volume of air for a few seconds and then the compressor will not be needed again until it has time to recharge. If your compressor will not keep up with your tools then adding a larger tank will allow it to run a bit longer (usually less than a minute or only seconds) and then you will lose anything gained by having to wait longer for the larger tank to recharge so you gain nothing. What happens is the pump has to run longer to recharge the larger tank which usually leads to higher pump temperatures. I have sold and installed air compressors for many years and this has been by far the biggest misunderstanding people have about compressors and make no mistake it is a misunderstanding. The tank's purpose is to control the cycle rate of the compressor and the size of the tank is chosen to match pump size/HP plus the intended designed discharge rate and adding tank volume will only lead to fewer but longer run times, the cubic feet of air produced WILL REMAIN THE SAME and a larger tank will not help an inadequate compressor keep up! I have seen many attempts to make a small compressor perform better by adding bigger or multiple tanks and the result is always the same
Old 09-13-2006, 06:26 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Basically, the tank size can be looked at like the fuel tank size in your car. Having a larger tank does not mean that you will get better gas mileage. You'll just drive longer, before you spend more for gas.

Aaron
Old 09-13-2006, 06:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if ya got 2 good running compressors, hook them togther, that way you add to your CFM output.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.