adding an overdrive? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 08:05 PM

Last journal entry: beginning of the 340 challenger
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

adding an overdrive?

hey guys,

i have an A-727 Torqueflight tranny and wanted to know; can an Overdrive be added to the tranny? if so would that mean replacing the guts of the tranny and the converter? also whats the down side to having an over drive?

im asking because i have a a set of 3.91's with 28 inch tall tires and im just trying to improve my gas milage on the free way while preserving my "get up and go" on the streets

thanks if you can help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

You could always add a gear vendors over/under drive check this out
Old 05-20-2007, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

I was told they make an adapter to put a GM 200r4 trans. behind a Mopar, I think there around $550.00. My trans guy said they work great if built right,thinking about it.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

those are cool ideas thanks guys but i dont want to replace the tranny... i want to keep the tranny i have because its more of a personal prefrence, so i was just wondering if there were any kits. im sure there is, just wanted more experiecned advice on "overdrive" i could go A-833 but then id have to cut a whole in the car for the clutch me thinks (dont know havn't done it before) and then i would "HAVE" shift gears, no more drinkin sodas
Old 05-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

the gearvenders under/overdrive is made to mate on back of existing transmission.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arillious
those are cool ideas thanks guys but i dont want to replace the tranny... i want to keep the tranny i have because its more of a personal prefrence, so i was just wondering if there were any kits. im sure there is, just wanted more experiecned advice on "overdrive" i could go A-833 but then id have to cut a whole in the car for the clutch me thinks (dont know havn't done it before) and then i would "HAVE" shift gears, no more drinkin sodas

did you clik on the link provided by HalfOunce? It leads to Gear Vendors.

Gear Vendors has a 'kit' to bolt an overdrive onto the 727 trans.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Yeah,
Gear Vendors

Last edited by jakeshoe; 05-24-2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

You can't add an overdrive to an existing tranny (except bolting on a GVOD like was said above). The A518 is an overdrive tranny that is a valid choice. Its basically a 727 that's been redesigned with an electrically controlled OD. Its pretty easy to install it with a switch to activate the OD.

I'm not sure how they fit as far as length, output shaft size, etc, but I know its done pretty frequently.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:20 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Damn Thats some good stuff!

I need a Double over drive for my BURB & the beast.

I'm still in shock on how the ratios change out & down.

Oh yea the sticker price is shocking too

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 AM

A Gear Vendor's OD is a good choice but the one's I've read about are pretty pricey. They are an add-on behind the 727. You'll also have to shorten the driveshaft or get a new replacement of the correct length. The A518, as mentioned, is a 727 with an OD in the revised tailshaft. However, that tailshaft is on steroids and will require floor pan work and transmission mount work to make it fit. You don't mention which engine you're using. The 727 for an a-engine uses the same bolt pattern as the A518. The 727 for a B, RB, or hemi uses a different bolt pattern and will require an adapter to fit an A518. For using the A518 overdrive without a computer, you'll need a tranny from 90-94 Ram truck or some Jeeps. After that, they were computer controlled. I'm planning on putting an A500 (904 with OD) behind a DeSoto hemi in my 47 Plymouth. Like the early A518s, you can run both the OD and Lockup off switches. Check out the Gear Vendors site and prices and see of it works for you. You won't have to change trannys or cut up the floor.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

lol im a dope thanks for all the cool info though guys oh and just because i didn't say: my engine is an LA 360 out of a 1 tone van. thanks again guys.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparist
.... I'm planning on putting an A500 (904 with OD) behind a DeSoto hemi in my 47 Plymouth.
I'd like to hear some more info about this. I am going to put a DeSoto hemi in my 33 Plymouth coupe,and was planning on using a push-button 727 because I wasn't aware the AOD's would bolt to a hemi.

Is the 904 OD really strong enough to handle a hot rod DeSoto engine?

What do they typically sell for used,and what vehicles carry them?

Are higher stall torque converters available for them?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 AM

DeSoto's for fun -- not profit!

Hi! My engine is a 1955 291 ci engine. The 52-55 engines were "low" blocks. The 56 and 57 DeSotos were Hi blocks. The heads on all deSotos are interchangeable but the 56/57 heads have bigger valves and ports. The casting no. is 1635779. These engines were smaller and lighter (a relative term when discussing hemis) than the Chryslers. Hot Heads has a web site that deals exclusively with stuff for the early Gen 1 hemis (Dodge,DeSoto, Chrysler 51-58). The biggest problems with DeSotos are intake manifolds and cams. This is especially true form the lo-blocks. Power output for these engines should be moderate. You can build a radical, fuel injected DeSoto but it'll cost ya. I'm going with a mild cam and a factory FireFlite 4-bbl intake. Hot Heads can regrind your DeSoto cam if its usable. The 904/A500 trans has been used behind small blocks for racing with a beefed up rebuild. If you stay under 350-375 HP on a street motor, it should live. Some of the A500 O/D trannys have a deeper first gear than the A518. If you plan to run a hot street motor, go for the A518. You can also get adapters and kits to run the GM transmissions. including sticks. The early hemis had the same bolt pattern as the A-engines (318/273/340/360). They ran an eight-bolt crank flange and need to be tapped to mount the late flex-plate from B&M. Any 904/A500 torque converter should work. You need to find out whether the trans you use requires a lockup converter or not. As I stated to someone else, the tailshaft and trans mount are NOT standard and will require some fabbing. Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 AM

291's and 330's

>>The 52-55 engines were "low" blocks. The 56 and 57 DeSotos were Hi blocks.<<

I know this. I have one of each.

>> The heads on all deSotos are interchangeable but the 56/57 heads have bigger valves and ports.The casting no. is 1635779 <<

Thanks,I didn't know that.

>> The biggest problems with DeSotos are intake manifolds and cams. This is especially true form the lo-blocks.<<

Huh? I see 10 times as many 291 intakes for sale than I do ones for the 330. In fact,the intake I want is the inline 4x2 made by Weiand,and they were only made for the 276-291 engines. If I go with my 330 I will have to use a 6x2 log intake and run the center two carbs.

>> Power output for these engines should be moderate. <<

That's ok. Moderate power is all I need. I plan on driving the car.

>>I'm going with a mild cam and a factory FireFlite 4-bbl intake.<<

My 291 came with that intake,but my 330 is a 2 brl. I think they all were. The 341's came with the 4 brl carb.

>> Hot Heads can regrind your DeSoto cam if its usable.<<

Do they do a good job? How reasonable are their prices? I have had Delta Cams in the northwest regrind a few obsolete cams for me,and they normally charge $39.95 for a stock grind. I have no idea what they charge for a hot rod grind,but I'm pretty sure they do it.

>> The 904/A500 trans has been used behind small blocks for racing with a beefed up rebuild. If you stay under 350-375 HP on a street motor, it should live. <<

Thanks. I know the newer Dodge AOD transmissions have a bad reputation in pickup trucks and vans,but it's good to know there are parts out there that might fix the weaknesses in them.

As for the motor I use,I doubt it will make 300 real horsepower. About all I plan on doing to it is installing what used to be called a "3/4 cam" and either 4 or 6 2 brl cabs and only run the center two.

>>The early hemis had the same bolt pattern as the A-engines (318/273/340/360). <<

Thanks,I have heard that,but it's good to get it verified I have a 727 from behind a 383 and a 904 from a slant 6,but have never tried to bolt either to one of the DeSoto engines I have. In fact,I just took the 291 out of the car a couple of weeks ago.

>> They ran an eight-bolt crank flange and need to be tapped to mount the late flex-plate from B&M. <<

Does this cause any balancing problems?

>> Any 904/A500 torque converter should work.<<

Cool! The one from the slant 6 might have a higher stall.

>> You need to find out whether the trans you use requires a lockup converter or not. As I stated to someone else, the tailshaft and trans mount are NOT standard and will require some fabbing. <<

No problem. This is a 33 coupe with removable floors,and right now it's all missing anyhow. I'm thinking about buying a stock toeboard,but I'm gonig to have to fab the floor tunnel and pans regardless of what I use.

>> Hope this helps.<<

Oh,yeah. Helps a BUNCH. Thank you very much.

Arthur
Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM

DeSotos for fun--not profit!

I'm surprised you've found so many low block manifolds. As far as I've rewad and been told, almost NO aftermarket low block manifolds were made. DeSoto Firedomes had a 2 bbl carb. FireFlites hada 4 bbl carb. Adventurers were a poor man's Chrysler 300 and had a 2 X 4 bbl manifold. There was also a Fire Sweep, but this had the poly engine based on a Dodge block. All of these manifolds were cast iron and heavy. A guy was advertising on Ebay a while back that he'd build a sheet metal manifold with 1 or 2 4-bbl carbs or multiple 2 bbl carbs. Haven't seen his auctions lately. He was asking about $650 and ran one on his car. He claimed it was quite streetable. I bought my adapter kit from TW Waters ( he works thru Ebay. Go to Ebay Motors, parts and accessories. and type in "DeSoto hemi" in the search box). His complete kit includes a eight bolt flex plate from B&M and its balanced for the engine (internal ballance like 318' and most 340"s. (340 tri-power and all 360's are external balance). You use the small Mopar starter with this rig. Hot heads will grind the cam for $125 and will modify the cam to fit under their aluminum front cover for another $150. This allows you to use a Cheeby water pump and save about 200 lbs over the original DeSoto front cover and water pump. Must use an electric fuel pump with this setup. If you have any more questions, I'll share what I've found out so far. Still learning.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.