adding vacuum advance to mallory comp s/s - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

adding vacuum advance to mallory comp s/s

hey guys new member. I have a mallory series 32 comp s\s dizzy in my sbc. I bought it when I was alot younger and got fooled into thinking vacuum advance was worthless, well now I want it. I looked and mallory make an add on kit, I looked and could not find directions on how to install, so I called mallory and they told me only they can install vacuum on it. Plus they wouldn't give a quote without first shipping the dizzy to them and then they tell me 4 to 6 week wait. I am thinking it cant be that hard to install the kit? Has anyone done it? walkthroughs? Or will I be the guinea pig?
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova68 View Post
hey guys new member. I have a mallory series 32 comp s\s dizzy in my sbc. I bought it when I was alot younger and got fooled into thinking vacuum advance was worthless, well now I want it. I looked and mallory make an add on kit, I looked and could not find directions on how to install, so I called mallory and they told me only they can install vacuum on it. Plus they wouldn't give a quote without first shipping the dizzy to them and then they tell me 4 to 6 week wait. I am thinking it cant be that hard to install the kit? Has anyone done it? walkthroughs? Or will I be the guinea pig?
thanks
You can do it. Use Mallory p/n 29332 and follow the instructions.

You might want to look over the instructions for tuning the advance curve as well: http://prestoliteweb.com/Portals/0/d..._32_series.pdf
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM

I was told by mallory the kit doesnt come with instructions. If it is as simple as changing advance curve no prob. Just wanted to make sure It didnt need soldering or other parts to work before I take the dizzy all apart.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova68 View Post
I was told by mallory the kit doesnt come with instructions. If it is as simple as changing advance curve no prob. Just wanted to make sure It didnt need soldering or other parts to work before I take the dizzy all apart.
If it comes w/o instructions, either Mallory really dropped the ball or it's so simple they're not needed. But even if it was simple as I think it is, they should give a drawing or some kind of instructions.

In any event, using your intuition and the pdf instructions I linked to, you should still be fine. There's no soldering or electrical work involved- you'll basically be unlocking the advance plate and adding the vacuum advance can to the side of the dist. body. There may even be a video of it being installed on YouTube

I would suggest you remove the distributor to do the work.

Before removing the distributor, bring the engine up to TDC using the timing tab and the line on the damper. Mark the position of the distributor body to the engine and of the rotor to the body of the distributor. When at TDC, pay attention to whether the rotor is pointing to #1 or #6 terminal of the cap- it will be pointing to one or the other. When you reinstall the distributor, set it back in w/the rotor pointing the same way as you removed it.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM

yeah I was going to pull the dizzy. I am getting ready for cam swap anyway. I just assumed mallory wouldnt tell me they had to do it if it was as easy I thought it was(4 to 6 weeks is bull) I should have known when I called them anyway. They didn't know what I was talking about at first. Then I had to give them part numbers for everything, they didnt seem to want to help. Sucks some companies dont seem to care about customer service all they want is money.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
WFO

Last photo:

If there's any question in your mind as to whether you want to do it alone, just post back and we'll do it w/you.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.