Adhesive Floor Boards - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 06:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Adhesive Floor Boards

Is it acceptable to use body panel adhesive to install new floor boards in my unibody 1980 Z-28? I understand that the adhesive is very strong and that it is also more user friendly to a non-welder such as myself. Please understand that if welding is required, that I am looking for opinions on the right way to do this.

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

when bodyshops replace a roof nowadays, they're gluing them on so i don't see how a floor would be any different. metal bonding agents are pretty high-tech nowadays. they use them to build airplanes so they must work.

JB
Old 03-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
Are you talking about JUST some floor boards that will go OVER the cross members? I would say, go for it. But if you are talking about bonding in anything where the seats will bolt or God forbid seat belts, I would say weld it.

It is not that the bonding wouldn't be strong enough, but the application would have to be PERFECT. I just wouldn't trust that on your first time.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 PM

More adhesive questions

Having never used adhesive before, which brand? I would be buying new floor pans and cutting out the old ones, leaving the members under in place. Should I flange the old so that the new sit "in" the old? Should I use self drilling / self tapping screws to hold the panel in until the adhesive cures? Any good sources for this information? It is very appealing to use the adhesive and not purchase the welder yet.

I hope this post does not make it seem as if my mind is made up to use glue. Any other ideas from other members?

Thanks for the advice.

Tay
Old 03-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
I have to tell you, I use adhesive regularly and this is a perfect place for it. No need to flange, for a couple of reasons. First this part is under the carpet, you won't see or feel the difference. Secondly and probably more important this repro floor board is not going to fit perfect, FAR from it. So to make it fit perfect in a flange is just asking too much in my opinion.

Grind both bonding surfaces good with 24 grit. I use a little angle die grinder with a 3" "ROLOC" disk. You don't want to clamp it in too tight and squish out all the adhesive. So what ever you chose to use to hold it, don't tighten them to touching. The screws will be fine, after the adhesive cures, remove them and seal it with seam sealer.

One thing you will also want to be sure of is to cover all the bare metal you have ground with the adhesive, brush it out as to not leave any bare metal. This is of course if the repro panels are well primed.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

You can get some good info on panel bonding techniques here- Lord Fusor

Fusor makes some excellent adhesives and seamsealers. After the adhesive is done curing clean off the excess adhesive with a small grinder or 3M kleen and strip disc being carefull not to heat anything up with these abrasives, than apply a good metal primer (self etch or epoxy) then you can apply your seamsealer. Lifetime Warranty

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.