Adhesive vs. Welding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Adhesive vs. Welding

I have a body work project (Restoration of a classic Jeep) that I am about to begin (first time!), and I spoke with an ex-body guy, and he told me that I shouldn't weld for any body work...just use adhesives (i.e. Duramix). I have read here that it is pretty strong stuff, but what is the opinion in general?

Are there cases where one is better than the other?

I am inclined to weld everything, but am open minded...

Just a note - I need to cut out numerous patches, replace the floor pan, and do light rest repair pretty much everywhere.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

it depends on what you are welding and how much...welded areas in a area that flexes ,,weld may crack leaving area to move.. on a jeep,,maybe some flex is acceptable..on a street rod,, it probably shouldn't.. for strength and stability of vehicle....
..........just my opinion.......
Old 06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

the adhesive may be a better choice on panels that are rusted so thin it is difficult to weld..welding may be a better choice where you need to do that..hard to say as both have their uses..

Sam
Old 06-08-2009, 02:16 PM
brains

Last photo:

I think hes asking to use Bondo or a mig welder for making a panel smooth.

Yes the guy is correct you want to use bondo, a.k.a "filler", which duramix is an average filler. You can not really use welding for "body work" as refered to the form of making a panel smooth. Welding will generally warp a panel with too much heat. In the old days they used lead as a filler.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Sorry if my question was too vague - let me clarify.

I will need to cut out extremely rusted portions of sheet metal from the vehicle body. I will fabricate new patch panels, and fix the formerly rusted area with the new metal patch panel.

The auto body guy said that I should look into the Duramix metal adhesive and forget the welder. Specifically, he said I should make the panels slightly larger than the area to be patched and flange the patch a bit. I should then adhere the patch with the metal adhesive and use sheet metal screws to hod the patch together. When dry, remove the screws, and then use filler to hide the screw holes. He said that he has not touched a welder for years, and could rebuild an entire car with just adhesive.

I just wanted to get some knowledgeable opinions on the matter, since it sounded a little "off" to me (but I don't know, so that is why I ma asking!).

Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

I use that stuff for patch panel repair all the time, it's great. It also makes a much more corrosion resistant seam than welding, too.

I cut a patch for the back, then cut a patch to match the hole exactly, and glue the backup panel first, and then the exaxt fit panel onto that. You can get very, very close this way. Then I finish off with POR-15 two part epoxy putty, which is waterproof and ideal for filling the holes left by the screws. Anybody that fixes up rusted cars should have this stuff. It's hard as a rock. It cures underwater (yeah I actually tried it and it's true ). You have to shape it with an angle grinder and emry cloth. Try it, you'll like it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.