adjustable coil-over shocks for jag rear - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Shorty

Wiki Edits: 0

adjustable coil-over shocks for jag rear

Andy,

You're right again. I count 5 the way you described the process.

Remember, I'm in the market for 1 set of adjustables. What do you recommend for spring rate, spring length and shock length (c/c). Brand name would also be appreciated. Remember, we were talking about a 12" length from c/c would give me a 3" gap from the rubber bumper to the suspension bar. If necessary, I would rather have more gap and a little more rake if you think it appropriate.

Earl

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

According to the info you supplied, the rear springs on your car currently are supporting about 1425lbs at ride height.

With this info and converting it to 4 springs with the same rate, and utilizing your current coil-over shock dimensions, four 280lb/in springs pre-loaded to a point where your shock c/c measurement is 10 3/4" at ride height, you would achieve the same load capacity and you would have enough bump travel. If you wanted to go with an adjustable dampening coil-over, I would recommend a QA1 UR3955P with a 8CS 250 or 300 spring. If your car is riding very soft as you say, go with the 300's, otherwise I would recommend the 250's and just pre-load them to get to your ride height. Your choice...Keep in mind I have not been able to measure or even see your current set up so I am basing this recommendation on your specs. My gut feeling is to go with the 250lb/in springs, but you are the one who will be shelling out the cash, so the final decision is yours. You might ask about the return policy on the springs if you don't like the first choice. Usually if you don't scratch up the springs, they are returnable.

Final note...don't get springs that have been chromed! Get the powder coated ones.

Andy
Old 05-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Shorty

adjustable coil-over shocks jag rear

Andy,

I understand your response but, I am confused as it relates to my previous message wherein, I said I only wanted to go with 2 shocks, not 4. Are all of the specs you furnished for 2 shocks or 4 ? If 4 shocks, what are the numbers for 2 shocks ?

Earl
Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 PM

As I stated in a prior post, I wouldn't recommend going with 2 coil-over units. But if you decide to, just double the spring rates I posted. The numbers I gave are for 4 shocks and springs.

Andy
Old 05-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Shorty

adjustable coil-over shocks for jag rear

Andy Osborn,

You were right on the money. I purchased 4 QA1's from Speedway with the wrench. Adjustable shocks are 14" c/c with 10" 225 lb. springs. The shocks are set to full soft and I have a 2 1/2" gap between the frame rubber bumper and the suspension arm bell. It's perfect and the ride is outstanding. Thank you so much for all of your help, advice and calculations and to the other hotrodder's for the comments and suggestions.

Earl Fauerbach
Old 05-23-2009, 07:59 PM

That's good to hear Earl, I was wondering how it all came out.

Glad to help,
Andy
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 AM

New ask for Andy

Andy, i found this thread and seeing what a great job you did on the Jag suspension, i thought i would ask for some help on my own challenge. Building a kit (Ferrari Daytona) on a custom chassis with jag V12 running gear (i.e. same set-up as the othe rcar on this thread). The axle weights are 1450lbs front and 1680lbs rears. The front suspension is adapted with a Spax coil over shock replacing the standard Jaguar one. The problem here is that i have moved and changed the engine so the front is now hugely over sprung and need a lighter spring, but not sure what strength. The problem with the rears are that they are the original Jaguar coil overs that are also way over sprung. I am sure this is not enough information to answer the question, but be grateful for your assistance to work it out. thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 AM

correction

Andy, miss typed....front weight is 1450lbs, rear is 1380lbs, thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 AM

Hey Peter,

Well, your situation is a bit more challenging than the last one. Why don't you do this...start a new thread giving some more details of your suspension system and I will do my best to come up with a spring rate that will get you in the ballpark. Keep in mind that what I prefer for a ride may not be the hot setup for you.

What we will need in addition to axle weight is the leverage ratio of the front and rear suspension (unless someone out there knows what it is for a Jag).

Unsprung weight of the front and rear suspension.

What the center to center (c/c) dimension of your coil-overs at ride height, fully compressed and fully extended.

How stiff or soft you would like your car to ride (highway cruiser with the wife, or corner carver with your buddy).

Given that information I can give you a fairly good guess as to what spring rate you should try first.

If you have any questions on how to get any of the above info, just let me know.

Andy
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

Have you checked Speedway Motors homepage?
Check these links:

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/ima...2553243A-R.gif

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/ima...lovermount.gif
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Jag irs

My son has an XJ6 Jag rear in his 22 dodge lakester, We built the chassis using the CCR T Bucket plans, added 4 in frame length in the rear, The CCR plans move the rear upper spring mounts inboard so they are also at a steeper angle. It still is too stiff in the rear, I have 4 Jag Irs, 2 XJ6 fronts, and 2 Jag F 40 fronts in the shop for our projects, so I'll be going thru the calculations. Another Good Resourse for spring calculations is Rod Authority, go the the tech button and down the the chassis button. I'll copy paste all the info you guys have posted and print a copy to keep in my suspension notebook.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 PM

started new thread

Suspension for Jaguar IRS for Kit
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 AM

ferrari kit suspension

Andy, i posted the geometry and weights in the new thread. thanks for any help you can provide.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.