Adjustable Pivot Ball - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2006, 09:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Adjustable Pivot Ball

I have a 427 and M21 with a new steel sfi flywheel, 8-spring disk, diaphragm pressure plate, & short throw-out bearing (all Ram stuff). I also purchased an adjustable pivot ball to make up for any differences from stock thicknesses. I'm using the stock bellhousing and fork. The engine/tranny is out of the car. My problem is I don't know how to set the initial pivot ball length adjustment. Is it just adjusted for a flush fit to the center of the diaphragm? Does the tranny need to be in to center the TOB, and how can you tell when it's all aligned properly? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

Adjustment

Sixty9Vette,
If you didn't get instructions with the pivot ball, read below.

If you had all the old stuff you took out, and you didn't change the adjustment ROD from the old stuff, you could compare assembled heights. Tighten the old clutch set-up to old flywheel, set the throw-out bearing on pressure plate fingers and compare the height to the new stuff. We're not talking thousandths here, you could use a brazing rod or welding electrode and mark the height on the rod with a marker.

The whole idea here is to have the right free play and still have rod adjustment to compensate for wear.

While you're putting in all this nice stuff, take the time to check dowel pin alignment of your bellhousing. With just the bell installed, put an magnetic indicator on your crank flange and indicate the bellhousing hole. 0-.005 runout is the target. Lakewood or Moroso make the offset dowels to correct any crankshaft to transmission mis-alignment.

Any mis-alignment will put excessive load on #5 main bearing, input shaft and input shaft bearing, not to mention you could have an oil leak from your rear main seal.

When I get back from China, I'll post some pictures of my Vettes and engines. Good luck with that 69, they're a little snug when installing a Lakewood bell & 427, but you can get the top bell bolts with an angled offset 9/16 box wrench.

y112
Old 01-22-2006, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info! I did have the old stuff laying around, so put it together and made the measurements. Both TOB's are the same height, but the old setup, from crank flange to tips of fingers is 9/32" taller than the Ram setup. I adjusted the pivot ball 5/16 taller than the old ball and installed the tranny. It all looks ok, but I still don't get how you can be dead on square to the fingers without being able to measure anything when the tranny is in. Perhaps we're not talking brain surgery here...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.