Hot Rod Forum banner

adjustable spark tester gap?

786 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  OC_ 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm trying to hunt down why my my megasquirted SBC decided to start run like crap. I havent ran it in a while since i had to replace the clutch and relocated the battery to the trunk; but before i began work, it was running perfectly. That as about a month ago. After i got everything back together, i started the car only to find that it sputters and barely runs.

While i was working on the car, i did not touch the engine at all other than removing the headers and distributor. Yes, I did re-time the engine, but its kinda difficult to do since it idles so poorly. idle quality does not get better with more or less timing.

I seems like the car is missing severally and so far nothing i have tested looks bad. I have one of those adjustable spark testers where you can set the gap to check the condition of the coil, but I have no idea what to set the gap to. anyone have any ideas what the gap should be? Also, if anyone has other advice on what i should check, that would be great.

So far i have tested compression, replaced the sparkplugs, moved the battery to the stock location and also ran the fuel injectors into graduated cylinders. Nothing has helped or looks bad...

Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.