Hot Rod Forum banner

Adjustable Steering Column?

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Roadster28 
#1 ·
I recently had the carpet replaced in my '28 roadster. To install the new carpet, they removed the steering column. It is a universal column and I don't know the brand. When I got my roadster back, the steering column protruded an additional 6(?) inches towards the seat making it difficult to get in behind the wheel. They said they could not figure out how it was mounted in its original position. Obviously I have a couple of concerns here but most importantly is how to get the column back to its original position. Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 ·
May be a collapsible steering column and the bottom shaft has slid out. Outer column needs to be mounted in it's proper place and then adjust the inner sleeve to match up to the coupler/rag joint.

Can you post a picture on the lower column under the hood.

#5 ·
Inside Pic

There is not too much to see here. I went back to the shop and talked to the owner and he said he would figure it out. He said there where a couple of brands that use to make an extensible shaft and it may have been "stretched out." I tried to research (google) for the type of column he was talking about but I did not find anything. So, at this point, I am going to let him deal with it as he should. If you have any thoughts on what I should research, let me know and thanks for trying to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.