Adjusting individual shift points in AOD possible? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Adjusting individual shift points in AOD possible?

91 AOD new rebuild, Transgo HP kit, shoved into a 65 Mustang behind 360ish horsepower 302, 2500 stall, 3.73 gears, Lokar linkage, Holley 570 with linkage corrector. It shifts extra early in 1-2 along with 3-4. I plan to pull the valve body back out and reinstall the stock 3-4 valve and springs based on conversation with Transgo along with findings on the net. Transgo wasn't quite as helpful on the 1-2 issues, though. Line pressures are good and acceptable to Transgo. Here's a video of what I'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtiuEmalSVM . Part throttle is lousy, 1/2 better except for 3-4, full throttle is fine, 2-3 shifting is good at all speeds and I'd like to copy that in the other shifts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

My only experience is with a GM AOD, a 2004-R. Had the same too early shift issues as you describe. Put in a shift kit, adjusted the TV cable (and adjusted again and again) - still shifted too early. The only fix was to replace the govenor with one that had lighter springs installed. Not sure if this applies to your rig, but for what it's worth... BTW, the new govenor came from CK Performance. Good luck
Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

I'd installed the governor from transgo which has nice WFO shift points, but I decided to go with another valve body as I believe this one is fubar. I went through it, made some tweaks, but it still tangles up the shifts and the TV is already well above spec just to "work". I'll find out in a week how a Silverfox vb works. He gets high praise.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

I eventually went with a full manual, reverse pattern valve body because I wanted total control in all circumstances. You might think about that. No regrets at all with the TCI unit. It does not have engine braking and I was worried about that before install; but I believe now that it's a plus. It makes the car more streetable because down shifts won't brake you if you are not RPM matched - and there is not the jolt I expected when you spin up your engine to meet the drive train, so to speak, under those circumstances. It's completely useable on the street, and for the strip it's great with the ratchet shifter. If your car is more racer than anything else, I say go manual valve body. Yep, I can drive my car to work, taking off in 2nd gear (4:10 rear). On race day, I open my exhaust dumps, hook up the bottle, toss in the helmet and I'm in a different animal, a really different animal. You can tell I love the outcome of this Mazda RX-7 V8 conversion project. Good luck with your tranny.

Last edited by Zeeb; 07-08-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 AM

Last photo:

AOD Facts

Visit this site and do a lot of reading this is a hard core AOD site: www.clickclickracing.com
Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 AM

I don't know if Baumann is still around, but they were heavies with the AOD.

Then there's Lentech. Give them a call, they know their way around a Ford overdrive automatic.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
Visit this site and do a lot of reading this is a hard core AOD site: www.clickclickracing.com
That's where I started! Great site, not a ton of progress on this issue, but I bought a valve body (in the mail??) after some conversation about this as I believe mine has some issues beyond shift kits.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I eventually went with a full manual, reverse pattern valve body because I wanted total control in all circumstances. It does not have engine braking and I was worried about that before install;
I had to avoid the full manual as this is a DD and my wife drives it. She's already uneasy about the VB I ordered as it's set up on the "firmer" side.

I thought the manuals had braking?? Is yours something different or was I always believing the wrong way? How about 1st braking?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

My trans is a GM 200-4R and I went with the TCI full manual valve body, none of the gears will produce engine braking on this particular body, although I wouldn't slam it into 1st at speed. It wouldn't brake, but it might break! Something internal spins-up on down-shift, and the faster you are going on the down-shift, the faster that something spins (drum?). Anyway, I can tell it would not be healthy to do that manuever - but no it wouldn't slow the car.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.