Hot Rod Forum banner

Adjusting toe-in on Mustang II

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  outbrd mechanic 
#1 ·
Do I have to loosen the tie rod end from the steering arm to adjust the toe in on my M II suspension?
It looks like it's possible to turn the threaded rod on the steering rack, but the rod has no 6 edge-fastening for a tool. It's rounded all the way.

And one more ting:
Where do I read the toe in spec?

#6 ·
Sometimes the chassis gets in the way of running a tape measure across the center height of the tires. I made a simple tool by welding a triangle to a piece of conduit and a 6" scale on a riser on the other end. I suppose that it could be fabricated out of wood too. If your tires have a center groove, then you're in luck. If not , then jack up the wheel, spin it and make a mark with a nail or pencil around the circumference. Place the point of the triangle on the center mark and take a reading of the opposite side. Move the tool to the front (or back) side and do the same thing. The difference is the toe. Usually it's 1/16" to 1/8" toe in for RWD cars. I can post a picture if you want.

#7 ·
A fellow can take a piece of ply about 6x 16 or so and screw that to a 2x4 so the ply can be scooted up to the tire and then you have something to work with to measure toe.. like was said 1/16 to 1/8 works for most RWD cars..

Sam

#9 ·
Thanks for your tips!
Did som Google searches on toe adjustment
and made two toe adjustment plates from 3mm aluminum.
Will buy 2 identical tape measures tomorrow.

The car feels good on the road, but the front tires gets worn on the outside shoulder. Camber is ok. I suspect a little too much toe in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.