Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Adler 67 questions "I enter with respect"
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

1) Just make sure you use sewing machine oil of any brand, and Lily White is good stuff. Regular household oil get's gummy over time, and can stain the fabric you're working with. I buy mine a quart at a time when my suppliers have it on sale.

2) No, you won't damage anything on the machine itself, it will just be harder to get thicker things under the foot. That adjustment is almost always set at the thickest level the machine can be set at.

3) I have been doing upholstery work for 40 years, I have read Don Taylor's book, and I think that book was edited by someone with no upholstery experience who took out a lot of info that should be in there. Nothing seems to be fully explained, and none of the projects seem to be described to completion. It is my personal opinion that it's really hard to learn upholstery from a book. It's awful hard to do something when you don't even know the jargon of upholstery. The jargon is different in different parts of the country. Plus, you can't ask a book questions.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 12-04-2012 at 07:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanTwoLakes For This Useful Post:
AFX (12-04-2012)