Advanced Hotrodding forum put on hold - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Advanced Hotrodding forum put on hold

We've decided to put the Advanced Hotrodding forum on hold for now. All Advanced Hotrodding threads have been moved into their appropriate corresponding tech forums.

It was being heavily promoted, and the discussions we had in there were of a high quality, but the overall post volume was too low to justify keeping it alive as a forum.

We gained some good ground in the Advanced forum, specifically in the knowledge that pre-moderating a forum is a viable option. willys36 did a superb job in keeping the forum clean, professional, and well-focused. We will either need to re-instate the Advanced forum down the line again when overall board post volume increases, or we will need to somehow incorporate a solution for more advanced postings.

In analyzing the situation, it seems like we are not lacking advanced discussion for lack of a specific forum. Rather, we seem to be held back by the fact that many of our more knowledgeable members have significant portions of their time on the board occupied by answering beginner questions, or by repeatedly answering common hotrodding questions. Keep an eye out for upcoming board projects to deal with this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2004, 03:56 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Part of this doesn't make sense to me Jon, both advanced and beginner questions are available to answer. You are saying that knowledgeable members are spending there time answering the beginner questions rather than the advanced. Wouldn't that be because they would rather answer the beginner questions than the advanced questions? These members have a choice what questions to answer if they are picking the beginner questions thats because they would rather answer those than the advanced questions. You wan't to make changes to eliminate the types of questions they choose to dedicate there time to the most?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:40 PM

I want to eliminate their need to repetitively answer beginner questions. We have a solid knowledge base, but we are inadequately covering basic questions. Thus, the time of our knowledgeable members is wasted covering the same ground over and over again. In retrospect, the notion that we could cover more advanced topics simply by the old "let's open a new forum" trick, now seems naive. I definitely think we'll need it again, but we have to focus on other things for now.

You can have a look at the Knowledge Clusters in the SBS forum. Some preliminary research demonstrated that much of the questions on the board cover the exact same subject. I believe that if we EXHAUSTIVELY cover those subjects, we will free up a good deal of our resources.

Here is a simple example. We have a lot of people on the board asking "how do I make flames come out of my tailpipe". Some people answer (reasonably) "do a search", "this has been covered before", etc. What would be more efficient would be to do the searching work for people. We could compile ONE PAGE with all the good flame-out-of-the-tailpipe discussions, as well as the suppliers of kits for that purpose, all the safety warnings, all the links and websites, and related info. It could easily be the best ONE PAGE on the net for that question, and much more in-depth than a basic FAQ-type answer.

It's wasteful to use the time of an engineer or experienced mechanic to do basic searches for people, or to repetitively answer basic questions. I believe that if we put in the effort to EXHAUSTIVELY cover our basic questions, the result will be a more knowledgeable and enjoyable experience for everyone.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:56 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the pre search(one page) you described above seems like a really good idea to me jon. i like that a lot. the simpler you make it the more people will use it but i'll bet it will take a lot of work to set that up.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:02 PM

Yes, it will take a lot of work. But it will also save a lot of work.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.