Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Advanced Timing Question for built 4.3
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10BlazerBuilt View Post
Thank you. I was thinking about getting a advanced timing kit for the HEI so I could change the fuel curve to do it's thing in the lower RPMs. I may go that route. I may have to advance it further to lower the idle to where it needs to be. Then adjust for total time. The one thing I am wondering... Doesn't Initial time change in the procedure? I mean, set initial, plug ECM back up, then adjust total @ 3500 RPM... Either way, the distributor is being turned... Does the ECM store the initial time setting and adjust for what it needs at that point?
Also, one other thing bothering me... If Comp recommends 6-8* and it's not working as far as idle goes, will advancing it to where the idle is proper damage anything?
On a TBI engine there is no advance mechanism. Its all calculated by the PCM
You can add more timing to the base or inital timing to compensate for things like cam duration.Put a vacuum gauge on a manifold source to help you get it to a happy spot between Idle qaulity and speed.
Base timing , and computed timing are basically stored in the PCM algorythms. It does have an "Adaptive strategy" which will allow the timing to run further advanced if it detects octane will support it, and retaard the timing when the low octane fuel causes a knock or pre ignition, which is detected by the knock sensor.
Its a good thing to have the kock sensor hooked up and working. As you drive the vehicle , the PCM will advance the timing through all the rpm ranges, untill it gets to the point it detects a knock, or pre ignition, at which point it will retard the timing until it stops.After that, and a few drive cycles, the adaptive part of the pcm will run the timing based on strategy it has developed through it range of operation.
The amount of timing that the pcm is delivering is based on the initial or base timing being correct.Or factory spec as on the underhood sticker.
If you add some base timing, you will have to add the extra amount to the value of timing advance that you see being displayed on the scanner.