Advanced Timing Question for built 4.3 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thats pretty much it.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 PM
InDeep****Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Thats pretty much it.
So why the heck did the engine builder tell me to take all the steps I mentioned, in regards to setting initial, and then adjusting after the computer was back in control?! lol Damn. I guess maybe he was assuming I was going with a carbuerated setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

That is prolly what he thought. I had to re read the first post, and I saw TBI both times. I see a few others here missed that as well.
Whats important is that all the guys here were truly iterested in helping, its all good.
Oh , and you can have more intial timing than factory, as long as the knock sensor circuitry is working, the upper limit will be controlled by the PCM.
Also, did you perform a minimum air rate adjustment after the mods?
You should look at the scanner live data to see where the fuel trims are as well.If it runs lean, you may need to tweek something there.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM
InDeep****Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
That is prolly what he thought. I had to re read the first post, and I saw TBI both times. I see a few others here missed that as well.
Whats important is that all the guys here were truly iterested in helping, its all good.
Oh , and you can have more intial timing than factory, as long as the knock sensor circuitry is working, the upper limit will be controlled by the PCM.
Also, did you perform a minimum air rate adjustment after the mods?
You should look at the scanner live data to see where the fuel trims are as well.If it runs lean, you may need to tweek something there.
The only thing I can tell ya, is that it's getting more air and fuel than stock. I have a K&N filter, and high rise injector spacer, AFPR, and running 10% more fuel with Venom injectors, and Edelbrock chip. In other words, if I want real tuning, taking it to someone with a dyno who will be able to tune it and reprogram the prom for the performance I want would be my only option? Right now, I guess all I can do is play with initial time, and HEI distributor advance kit. No pings or smoke, no damage? How much room do I have to play with in this engine as far as initial timing? Any ideas? I really don't wanna drop any more money into, except for a performer intake, and ported polished tbi, and $3250 later I don't wanna damage it. Only got 6K for mileage. The timing advance kit for the distributor would allow for some adjustment for the fuel curve.
How do I do the air rate adjustment?

Last edited by S10BlazerBuilt; 10-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM
InDeep****Now

OK initial has been set to 9* BTDC Then I hook up the ECM back up static idle is 22.5*BTDC. At 3500 RPM, when the mark it at it's peak, it's hittin 35* BTDC. Comp cams doesn't recommend going beyond 8* initial But the builder said 10* was fine and that total time should be 37* BTD. She idles higher (1250) at those settings. Where it's at now, it still idles at 1000 which is a touch high. I'm going to examine the exhaust manifold gaskets to see what's up. (Still getting code 13 after 60MPH is reached)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.