Advancing Cam Timing ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM
VROOOM !!!!!!

Last journal entry: This is the Rough Draft of the V8 Frame
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Advancing Cam Timing ?

Ok I know on double roller there is 3 keys, Advance, Retard and Stock.
I have been wondering what would happen If you set your timing Advanced or retarded on a 350 sbc. Would It have more low end, advanced ?. What does it primarily change ?. Can it increase your Compression ?. Can you even see a change in power ?. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

I forgot

one way increases top end the other low end torque. Ford retarded the 460 cams in the 70's so they could meet emmision standards without egr, to save a few bucks they lost about 30 horses doing it... on a 460 you put it back together with a stock cam dead on by using a 68 t bird crank gear . I don't know if gm did that also
Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

see the diaghram Adjusting the camshaft installed position (cam timing)
can be an effective method of dialing in the engines torque curve to best match the chassis. Generally, if you need to move the camshaft more than 8 degrees either way from cam card specs, you have the wrong cam.

If your car has a lot of wheel spin, yet seems soft on the top end charge then you may be able to afford to tradeoff some low end torque for top end power by retarding the cam a bit.
If your car has a soft launch but a big top end charge above 3500-4000rpm you may want to try advancing the cam a bit and give up a bit of top end horsepower to gain some low-mid torque for stronger acceleration.
Moving the cam in the motor is a balancing game. You'll always trade one for the other. Generally the point (rpm) of peak engine torque stays about the same. But the torque curve is rocked about the peak by advancing or retarding the cam.
Generally:
Adding or subtracting camshaft duration tends to shift the torque curve as a whole up or down the rpm band. Always trading low rpm for high rpm power as you increase the camshaft duration with the potential and trend to make more peak horsepower with added duration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torque curve.jpg
Views:	7264
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	28113  

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-21-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
advance or retard????
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy350_Camd
Ok I know on double roller there is 3 keys, Advance, Retard and Stock.
I have been wondering what would happen If you set your timing Advanced or retarded on a 350 sbc. Would It have more low end, advanced ?. What does it primarily change ?. Can it increase your Compression ?. Can you even see a change in power ?. Thanks
i almost didn't respond to your post kid. but advancing the cam will increase low speed torque, retarding the cam will increase high speed HP and torque. if i set up an engine i always go with the advanced, eventually chain stretch will bring it back to close to "0". if you retard it you will just behind the "8 BALL". for a street motor, advavcing the cam is the way to go!!! now, if you are building an altered (see previosed post) then retarding the cam is the way to go...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.