advice for 454/TH350 combo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2004, 11:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

advice for 454/TH350 combo

[not sure which category -engine- or -tranny- to post this]

Hi guys,
I located a rebuilt 454 engine with stock heads and cam. Originally I wanted to put my old 350 in the 1969 el camino (3.08 rear-end), but now I think the big block will be a better choice :-)

I apologize about the size of this post and if some of these questions have been already brought up.

I am done rebuilding another Th350, it has a shift kit, and I tried following Ron Sesssion's tight specs for cluthces and end play. I will also add an external tranny cooler to be on a safe side.

I bought a Summit B&M Tork Master 2000 converter already. I did some digging here on the subject of 454 and TH350 and general consensus is to get a TH400 or modify TH350 to take extra torque of the BB.

The car will be a street daily driver with no race track appearances. Please keep in mind that 1989 454 is stock. Questions:
- Should I buy ($50) intermediate sprag outer race for TH350?
- Will the above torque converter be okay? The description mentions that it is only for small block applications. I talked to KillerFormula, he is running the same converter behind a 'wild' SBC and so far it is holding up. Torque with SBC = Torque with BBC. Right?
- Should I replace the cam with a RV version to get more than stock 250hp(?) out of it? Or which one will you suggest for the 3.08 rear-end and power accessories? I guess since the engine is stock, so is the CR for the pump gas (9:1?)
- Will a Q-Jet be all right for this setup? Or the primaries too small? Should I start looking for either 750 or 800cfm carb?
- Will the TH350 converter bolt up to the 454 flex plate?
- Which intake would you recommend (Performer, Performer RPM, Weiand Stealth etc)?

Thanks a lot!!!
Denis
'67 Camaro RS
'69 El Camino

Advertisement

Last edited by darom; 10-22-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2004, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

I dont know about your tranny questions, but 454 will use a differant flex plate cause its externally balanced as opposed to your 350s internally balanced.
if its an 89 454 than it most likely has the small peanut port heads, not generally the hot ticket for racing, but there have been a # of people who I know who like em on the strett/strip application. There small ports make great low end....would be nice to install 2.19/1.88 valves though.
Id just use a Performer intake, as far as what carb ? I like Q-jets, if you go aftermarket...Ive got a 770 Holley on my very mild 454...its more than I need, but it works fine.
As far as camshaft if your staying with the 3.08s (thats fine ) & use a little bit of convertor( roughly 2000-2200) here would be my picks.
Elgin # E-930-P 112 LSA 214/224 @ .050 .501/.527
Youll need to make sure to get valve springs to go with it.
Erson #E 120201 112 LSA 214/214 @ .050 .492/.492
This grind you can use stock valve springs assuming they are good. This is an old school single pattern grind, but it works great in this application. John
Old 10-22-2004, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Thank you, John, for the detailed reply.

The engine heads have new stock springs installed (per the seller's words). If I go with the second cam option, would you suggest adding 1.6 rocker arms to this combo without replacing the springs? Or just leave them alone and stay with 1.5? I am also assuming that this cam should give me some vacuum to run the brakes, right?

Thanks again for your input!
Denis
Old 10-22-2004, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Id say if the springs are in good shape, theyd work with the .492 lift...however, Id check em to be sure.
The stock rocker ratio for a big block Chevy is 1.7
Old 10-22-2004, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

1.7 - Oops, shows how much I know about BBC :-)

I will check the springs out when I get the engine.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Denis
Old 10-22-2004, 03:41 PM

-The flex plan on the 454 will bolt up fine to a turbo 350 tc
-I would recommend you go with a q-jet for carberation they give exilent low end power and decent fuel economy (most are rated around 750cfm)
- a good rv cam (short duration and higher lift) would be a good choice but don't go over board as your stock peanut port heads don't work well with radical cams
- The b&m converter you mention should work well with your combo and will hold up fine
I personally with your combo would either stick to the stock cast iron spread bore intake or else use an performer which will allow you to keep your exhaust cross over which will be good for a daily driver.

Crosby will be able to give you good advice on internal parts to use for th350
Old 10-22-2004, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, Robinson. I am glad that B&M tc will work since shipping it back to Summit is a major pain in the neck.

Any specifics on that RV cam (duration, lift)? Or even your preferred brand?

I will see what Crosby can recommend about the TH350.

Thank you, guys!
Denis
Old 10-27-2004, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is selling his Crane Max Velocity cam for BBC cheap and I wanted to ask you if this will work in my mild street setup. The cam was used once, has clean unscratched lobes:

Duration: In: 204, Exh.: 216, Lift. In: .484, Exh. .515, LC: 110 (rpm range 1500-4500)

Thanks!
Denis

Last edited by darom; 10-28-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Warning!!!!!

Someone here said 454 flex plate will bolt up. NOT TRUE. I am having that problem right now and have posted for a reply. If the 454 came from a 400 tranny and the 350TH came from a 350 eng, it won't bolt up!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am waiting to see a reply as to what to change, flexplate or converter or?? If anyone knows the answer to my thing please respond to me in my post. thank you.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

- Should I buy ($50) intermediate sprag outer race for TH350?

Yes! Make sure you buy the HARDENED one. Its the weakest part in the 350! Its cheap insurance. Also make sure you install ALL the frictions in the kit. If you have some left over, you will need V8 apply pistons, as the 6 cyl trans takes one less friction and steel. I followed Rons book on my 350 and it works like a champ!

- Will the above torque converter be okay? The description mentions that it is only for small block applications. I talked to KillerFormula, he is running the same converter behind a 'wild' SBC and so far it is holding up. Torque with SBC = Torque with BBC. Right?

It will probably be fine.

- Should I replace the cam with a RV version to get more than stock 250hp(?) out of it? Or which one will you suggest for the 3.08 rear-end and power accessories? I guess since the engine is stock, so is the CR for the pump gas (9:1?)

If you have the money and time, might as well, won't hurt.

- Will a Q-Jet be all right for this setup? Or the primaries too small? Should I start looking for either 750 or 800cfm carb?

Qjet is a fine choice for a stock/modest engine. Most common model is 750cfm and a few 850's floating around but hard to find.

- Will the TH350 converter bolt up to the 454 flex plate?
Can't say, jury is still out. I thought it would, maybe not. On my sons truck, his flex plate had 2 sets of holes and it went in fine.

- Which intake would you recommend (Performer, Performer RPM, Weiand Stealth etc)?

For stock or modest build, I like the Performer.

Mark
Old 02-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, guys! The engine is still on the stand, no time to mess with my El Camino project. I got an old cast GM intake, non-EGR, it should work okay.

Regards,
Denis
'67 Camaro RS
Old 02-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Please read the dates on the posts...... this thread was last responded to in 2004.

that said;

the 454 chev flywheel / flex plate will bolt to a t-350 converter IF it is a dual pattern flex plate.

Some flex plates are single pattern for a six lug converter.

Dual pattern flex plates were produced for the 454 & 350 chev engines at one time .

Old 02-18-2006, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

You are correct Crosley, I found it doing a search for my question (today) and thought I would just repeat my question/problem. And I DID say please answer on MY post so as not to add to this post any more. Sorry for the screw up but it resulted in a great answer. Thanks Crosley. I got the same answer from another member on my post.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.