Advice on appying acrylic clearcoat for newcomer!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2005, 01:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Advice on appying acrylic clearcoat for newcomer!!

Hi Guys,this is my very first post.I've been searching most of the day for a site like this as i'm sure someone here can help out a complete novice like myself.I must first off admit that i don't actually own a rod or custom vehicle of any type.I'm more into my v-dubs (Karmann Ghia/bay bus),but I think what you guys do is to be admired,i only wish i had the time/space money to commit to a project.I do however have knowledge in Engine Technology as i work for Shell Research,so maybe i can trade help and advice,
Anyway,my problem is that i've used Plasticote gloss in a spray can to touch up a panel.However I've since been told that it isn't fuel/oil proof so i need to apply a clearcoat.I have a tin of clear acrylic ready but how do i prepare the panel first?Do i wet sand with 1200grit wet/dry until i have a smooth matt surface,then paint over with clear,or do i wet/dry,then use compound to smooth,then buff up to shine,THEN apply clearcoat?

I'm confused,any advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Could you give us some more detailed information about the product you are spraying (like brand, number, and what hardener/activator), and what material you are painting over? If I understand right, you want to clear over spray can paint? That sounds rather dicey to me.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the reply,
The product is called Plasticote super gloss in a spray can,sold as general purpose decorative,indoor/outdoor paint.I used it because i hads some spare and found that it was a perfect match for my car.
The clearcoat is also plasticote in a spray can and is what i have been advised to use by plasticote tech dept as a fuel/oil proof covering.It is called "Industrial Acrylic Laquer".
I just really need to know how to prepare the basecoat.If i sand it dull,will it stay dull when i laquer over?
I realise i'm not doing this job by prefered methods but i'm really running on a tight purse at the moment,i just want some protection from the crappy British Climate!,
Thanks,
Ade.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Technician

It's not really how we like to do things, but if that's what you are set on using, here's my advice: If the underlying colour has been applied over 24 hours ago, scuff sand it with 600 or finer and apply another coat or two of colour. Then wait about a half hour and apply the clear. I would imagine that type of spray can clear will take several coats to provide any meaningful protection, probably at least 4 or so. Let the clear flash off well between coats, 15 minutes or so would be a good rule of thumb. Times given assume temps in the 18-24C range.

As always, the manufacturer's recommendations take precedence over mine!
Old 11-25-2005, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

I sprayed over some spray bomb paint (didn't have right color base around) and to see if it would work. I only let the spray bomb paint flash off a little while,then cleared it. The clear later delaminated. I don't know if waiting and sanding will be any better, but I'm not sure if the clear will adhere properly to the spray bomb paint or not. To be safe you may want to sand off the plasticote you have on there and get a basecoat paint that is designed to be cleared. Its up to you, its your risk. I am glad I tried first on a small part thats easily fixed and didn't do a large piece this way, but I sort of knew better then to use a spray bomb for painting anything, when the products are not designed to be used that way. Ohh missed that you were using a spray bomb clear also, well it may work, but not the best way of doing things, your not going to have chemical resistance, and doubt uv inhibitorsare in the spray can.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Technician

From what ourkid stated in his post, the paints are the same brand, though that does not guarantee compatibility.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.