Advice for Color coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Advice for Color coat

Hello,
I am doing a rattle can paint job on an old motorcycle that I am restoring. I do not have a compressor that is powerfull enough for an HVLP gun so I am resorting to rattle cans. Also I do not need much paint as I am only painting the gas tank and seat/rearfender portions.

I have layed down an 2K epoxy primer from Spray Max. It is a rattle can primer that requires you to insert a tab into the can to release the hardener before spraying. I have also purchased their SprayMax 2K Rapid Clear Coat it was one of the only rattle can clear coats that I could find that is resistant to gasoline. Here is the info for the clear: http://www2.spraymax.de/360.0.html?&L=1 . Both of these were purchased from an autoparts store. However they do not have a color coat from this manufacturer and I am not sure if this manufacturer even makes one.

The problem I am having is in deciding what paint to use for my color layer. I really want to use the 2K clear so my gas tank stands up to any fuel leaks, but I need something compatible. The auto parts guy did not seem to knowledgeable about paints and ended up selling me Plasti-Kote anti-rust aklyd enamel paint. He said that it should be fine as long as it is dried before applying the clear. I am not sure if I need the anti-rust, the gas tank is steel and the seat/fender is fiberglass (which may flex slightly). Also no where on this paint does it say that it is for automotive use. It just has a picture of a steel ladder and door on the can.

It looks like the only other paints available are duplicolor vehicle paints, which from their website is a lacquer. Can I use their truck and suv line and then apply my 2k clear over top?

My automotive guy can mix spray bombs, however I think these are acrylic enamel??

Another choice which may be a last resort is to order some paint from colorRite they seem to sell urethane paint in spray bombs, but their prices are pretty high.

Also when it comes to do the clear, I don't mind slightly sanding the color coat and then spraying, as I am a first timer and will probably have dust or drips in my color coat.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

If all your painting is a gas tank, I dont understand why you think your compressor wont handle the job. Even a small pancake compressor would be more than adequate for the task.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 PM

I just assumed that since the HVLP gun I was looking at requires 7-9cfm and my compressor is rated for 3.8cfm that it wouldnt be up to the task. Also I can only buy quarts of clear and pints of color here, which is way more than enough paint than I need. I have never used an HVLP gun and dont have a drier. I just assumed it would be easier using rattle can for the small job. Do you think I could have gotten a better finish using an hvlp gun?
The costs of going to a spray gun are pretty steep as compared to the price of 2-3 spray bombs/
Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

I've done both. I prefer mixing my paint as I can control the viscosity and control spray on my gun. Rattle cans you have no control and have to adjust accordingly.

Yes, a good spray gun can get pricey. However, harbor freight sells a cheap HVLP for $15.00 that should do an adequate job for you. As far as paint, youre pretty much stuck with the sizes you mentioned. If I were you, Id purchase the base color I wanted then find a friend whos doing a project himself and purchase some of urethane clear coat from him. Alternatively, you can split the cost, either way.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

You may want to look at a conventional spray gun. Many have smaller air requirements then hvlp. That compressor sounds a bit small even for a conventional gun, but being a motorcycle parts are fairly small, you may be able to spray the small area without too much problems with the compressor not being able to keep up. You could even probably use a touchup gun to spray a tank, and get good results. I have this cheap one from harbor freight, the air requirement is only 2.8 cfm @ 30 psi, and I would have too many problems spraying a tank or motorcycle pieces with it. It sprays decent, and I've used it for jambs , and spraying smaller pieces.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...?itemnumber=86

I have heard about those activated clear spray cans. I am assuming it is an automotive urethane. (edit, reread andseen your 2k spray bomb was your primer, I'd just purchase a 2k automotive clear as well to spray with a gun.)
Many automotive basecoats can be sprayed without having to be activated, meaning it will keep and can be put in a spray can.
The base will give you the color, and your 2k clear will provide the protection needed. Many auto paint suppliers can mix up the same automotive basecoat they sell from the code you give them, and put them in a spray can for you. But tend to be kind of pricey for the amount of material you get. I would probably buy a pint of a decent automotive basecoat in the color you want, and spray it with a gun and compressor. You will get more material for the money, in the case of a mess up or for future repairs, and get use to using a spray gun. And in the future could spray 2k products, mix up only what you use, and won't have to throw the unused stuff away, like in the case of your 2k spray bomb.
Then if you enjoy it and do more spraying, you may eventually get bigger and better equiptment, but we all start somewhere. Don't forget ventilation, and skin, eye, and respiratory protection (even with the 2k spray bomb). and a regulator and water trap if using a compressor/spraygun. You didn't say what kind of compressor you had, but if does happen to be a pancake and has the curly plastic airhose, I'd look at buying airhose too that will be less restrictive.

Last edited by kenseth17; 06-01-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the help. I will look into spraying my base coat with my hvlp and hope my compressor will work.

But if it doesn't can anyone tell me what rattle can paint I should use between a 2K epoxy primer and a 2K clear coat? SHould I be using an acrylic, alkyd enamel or a lacquer to get the color? Knowing that I will be covering it with a 2K clear coat from a spray can.

Initially I was going to use an enamel, paint on a couple of coats of color and let this dry for a week, to ensure the solvents are gone, then lightly sand it and shoot it with my 2K rattle clear? Does this seem reasonable? OR could I use lacquer spray cans, so I can just wait a few hours before I use the 2K rattle clear?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.