Advice on Differential for (GM) 1967 Olds 442 - Need New One - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 04:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Advice on Differential for (GM) 1967 Olds 442 - Need New One

Greetings all!
Happy 4th of July....

I have a question about differential...

I have a 67 Olds 442 with Auto Trans/400ci V8...

Now yesterday, as I was driving down the street, my diffential made a loud thump... or crunch, next thing you know... everytime the car is in gear and slows to a stop, it makes knocking sounds...

Also a mechanic told me there was a hole in my differential...

To cut to the chase... I'm in the market for a new one... anyone know what works best for my vehicle? Here is what I'm looking at...
I DONT intend to pull it on the track for 1/4 mile runs (I have other projects for that hehe)... actually this car will be my daily driver... and I want something that is versitaile... corners smooth (and quiet)... and decent traction from the start...

I'm looking towards a Eaton Posi... am I on the right track? Anyone else have any suggestions for something they tried on a GM A Body?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 02:18 AM

I think I found the right part here:
http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod5.htm

Part# 19674-010 (the one highlighted in Yellow)...
(Should Fit 1967 Oldsmobile 442)

Any suggestions on what Ratio I should get?

I don't want a boring car, however, I don't need an overpowering car... just a powerful daily driver...

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 07-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Eaton/Auburn posi's are nice, but what size are you going for? 7.5" 7.625" or 8.5" Also what transmission are you going with? If it's gonna be a 3 speed and you want some power but need that highway cruising you'll want to get something near 2.73. If your going for around town MPG or performance you'll want to go with a 3.23. For a 4 speed like 200-4R you'll want to get a 3.73 or 4.10.

You'll find there isnt many oldsmobile people around here too often.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:30 PM

I'm glad I ran into you haha...
Ok, you probably figured this out, i'm new to this...

I'm not too sure what size I'm going for, but I know I want to replace the differential because it's breaking down..
So I'm looking at getting this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33731 (am I heading in the right direction?)

I want to buy that differential, and replace the old Stock differential with this one.

I have a Turbo-Hydramatic (M40) Automatic Transmission... so a 3.23 or 3.73 should do? My goal is to have decent MPG for town cruising, but still enough pep to feel alive....

Will it be a simple swap? I'm going to have someone put it in for me...

Yeah I noticed not much Oldsmobile people here, but that's fine... I love Oldsmobiles!

Oh I forgot to ask,
You know on this Differential:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33731

It says "Gear Ratio 3.36 and up"...
Does that mean the gears are not included? I never bought a replacement differential before...
Is the unit complete where I can just have it bolted on and installed in place of the old one?

Another thing, if my car is a 12 bolt, can I install this unit (if the unit is 10 bolt) or vice versa? I just got the car a couple days ago, so that's why I'm unfamiliar with such things.... I would slide under the car to count the bolts (which I will do soon) but they prev. owner lowered the car (or the shocks died out haha)

Again sorry for the dumb questions

P.S. I read your reply on the engine forum... wow you have a lot of work ahead of you as well... but I'm sure it will haul ***...

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by 67olds442; 07-05-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:55 AM

67, email me and i will be happy to help you out.

do yourself a favor and be leery of what you read here.

i can provide you parts needed or just help you choose things to get locally.
amusingly, not a single ring gear size mentioned by the other poster ever came in your car.

beware even if you do count 12 cover bolts - olds used a 12 bolt housing with 10 bolt internals - that's an 8.2 inch 10 bolt, btw.

the 10/12 bolt names stem from the number of bolts holding on the ring gear, not the cover, as commonly thought.

if you'd like to, email me at:
rockvillespeedTAKETHISPARTOUTFORNOSPAM@his.com

good luck either way,
mike
Old 07-11-2004, 11:56 PM

are we a little arrogant by chance?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:56 AM

There is a good chance your 442 has the B-O-P ten bolt 8.2 rearend, as Olds didn't start using their own design 12 bolt till 68 and used it till 72. If your running a stock engine or basically stock then I would recommend going with a 3.55 gear then either install the Auburn or the Powertrax units as both are good units. If you need to replace the housing just look in your local salvage yard for any A- Body (i.e. Pontiac Lemans or Tempest, Buick Skylark, or Olds Cutlass ot F-85) from 65-67 as the 68 up housings are wider. Also the B-O-P ten bolts have bolt in axles verses the Chevy ten bolt that uses C-clips. Also the spline count on the B-O-P pinion is different from the Chevy rearend also and the axles and gears won't interchange. Hope this helps you out as far as what to look for for your 442. I have had alot of experience with these rearends over the years and the 8.5 wasn't offered till late 71 and the housings were changed when GM changed the body styles in 73 and the 7.5 wasn't intoduced till 78 so there is no way that your 442 has either one of these rearends from the factory. 87442Lover you need to do more research before your answer these type of questions and mislead someone, just a work of advice. Goat
Old 07-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

I need to do a bit more research?

Man, I'm just not going to even go there, what is this a be a dick head to me month??

I asked the dude some questions and never even replied yet! So why dont YOU not tell me that I need to do some more research.

And crosley, just dont! I'm not attacking anyone here and I'M TIRED OF THIS BS! If I had even replied to any of his answers to my questions than you could have, so just dont!

God damn what has gotten into you all?!?
Old 07-19-2004, 01:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally posted by rockvillespeed

the 10/12 bolt names stem from the number of bolts holding on the ring gear, not the cover, as commonly thought.

mike
So why do both 14 bolts (9.5"SF, and 10.5"FF) have 12 ring gear bolts and 14 bolts holding the cover on?

I used to think in error as well that they really went by # of ring gear bolts...
Old 07-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally posted by rockvillespeed
67, email me and i will be happy to help you out.
[color=yellow]And this will help others with a similar question, HOW?[/color]
do yourself a favor and be leery of what you read here.
[color=yellow]And the 20,499 other members as of this morning can't all be wrong.[/color]
i can provide you parts needed or just help you choose things to get locally.
amusingly, not a single ring gear size mentioned by the other poster ever came in your car.
[color=yellow]Not everyone knows everything.[/color]
beware even if you do count 12 cover bolts - olds used a 12 bolt housing with 10 bolt internals - that's an 8.2 inch 10 bolt, btw.
[color=yellow]True.[/color]
[color=yellow]Couldn't be any more wrong! Ask ANY true hotrodder over 50.[/color]
if you'd like to, email me at:
rockvillespeedTAKETHISPARTOUTFORNOSPAM@his.com
[color=yellow]This is what we like to include an e-mail link at the bottom of EVERY users posts for.[/color]
good luck either way,[color=yellow] you'll need it too with such a negative attitude.[/color]
mike
Old 07-19-2004, 08:47 AM

Mike very well put and I couldn't have said it any better myself. Having experience with the 8.2 B-O-P rearends (as that is what I have had in my GTO for most of the 18 years I've owned it) I have researched these rearends alot over the years along with what they were available in. My spare 8.2 has 10 bolts on the cover as well as ten bolts holding the ring gear in place. Also being a part time drag racer has let me experience how much these rears will take and knowing how much torque the Olds Pontiac and Buick engines produce also states how duriable these rears actually are and the avaliability of gear ratios offered from the factory and in the aftermarket. These high torque engines don't need alot of gear in order to perform as I have found with my GTO as I'm running a 3.55 gear in it right now and don't plan on going any steeper than a 4.10 in the future. Proper gear selection for performance and drivability is critical in this day and time and most street cars of the mid to late 60's to early 70's were available with the more common ratios being anywhere from a 3.23- 3.64 with the 3.55 being about the most common and the best compromise as far as everyday driving and occasional strip use. As with 67's Olds having a Turbo 400 trans is would greatly benifit with the 3.55's for an all around performer. Hopefully this will be my last words on this subject but who knows for sure. Goat

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.