advice on door frame building - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 10:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

advice on door frame building

whats the best way to build a door frame. I have a 28 hupmobile and all the wood is gone or worthless, whats the best way to replace the wood with steel? I don't want to put wood back in. All I have left is the door skins so I need to make mounts for the door hinges and latches and glass and..... Any body know of any links to build ups or have any advice? thanks

Gary

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2004, 07:24 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I don't have anything specific for you but just some ideas where to start looking.

The most ideal situation would be if you had a set of the original wood framing pieces so you could use them as templates for bending and cutting your steel tubing pieces. I would guess someone makes these for a Humpmobile. Maybe Hemmings would have a source. But it would get awfully expensive to buy the wood pieces and then make the steel pieces. Better yet, maybe someone has actually put together CAD drawings of the wood pieces that you could buy and use as templates.

The less ideal avenue is to make the templates yourself based on the skins and body parts you have. Here you might get some good ideas from the fiberglass body industry. Many of these outfits are now putting steel rather than wood bracing into their bodies. You can usually get a pretty good look at how they do this at any of the major car shows where they have the big time vendors. You could also search around on the web to see if one of the glass body mfrs has some good pics on their website. But in the end you will still be ending up trying to make cardboard or dense hardboard templates on your own...which is no easy task.

Hopefully others here at HR.Com can offer up a little more experience for you.

Dewey
Old 10-30-2004, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, thats kind of what I thought. I have one piece of wood from the pass side but its not all there and rotten. it would be hard to make a piece of metal that is C shaped and contours the door and has a flat surface for attaching door panels to. So maybe just an L shaped one with a bunch of little L brakets to attach the curved side to the door skin. Not looking forward to this part, but I guess once I get the hang of it, it should go pretty well.

Gary
Old 11-01-2004, 08:17 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

gahi,

Ran across this...might be helpful for hanging the doors.

http://www.rockyhinge.com/instructions.htm
Old 11-01-2004, 08:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

light wall square and rectangular tubing is the ticket here. Great for replacing wood and gives all the structure needed to mount latches, hinges, interior trim, etc.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

i am planning on using those type of latches, they seem to be a nice setup. With the light wall tubing, would you still make a pattern, then cut the tubing to match and fill the open areas, also what would be a good way to attach that to the door skins? plug welds? I would like to repace all the wood in the whole car, like the roof supports and the main pillars. Thanks for the replys, the cogs are starting to turn a little faster.

Gary

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.