Advice for engine selection and installation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Advice for engine selection and installation

I have a 1953 Lincoln Cosmopolitan and the car has no drivetrain. My question is "What engine would fit smoothly without alot of chassis modification?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardandy
I have a 1953 Lincoln Cosmopolitan and the car has no drivetrain. My question is "What engine would fit smoothly without alot of chassis modification?"
I can't remember ever having looked into the engine bay of a '53 Lincoln Cosmopolitan, but I'll bet there's enough room in there to transplant whatever motor you want to. Pay attention to the oil pan sump location. Try to choose a motor that won't break the bank for special pan and pickup, one that will fit over or around the front crossmember without a lot of monkeying around. If the steering box is in the way, the motor/transmission can be moved to the passenger side of the car to the limit of the transmission against the side of the floor pan. I moved the motor/trans 2 1/2 inches to the passenger side of the truck when I was transplanting a 302/C4 into a Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup, to miss the steering box.

Whatever motor you decide on, use the transmission that came with it from the factory. Also use the radiator and complete cooling system components that came with it from the factory. I see so many Fosdick electric fan arrangements that don't work, it just makes me want to spit. Unless you have an engineering degree and work for an automotive manufacturer, you have no business re-engineering a cooling system. It's just too easy.....use what the engineers used!!!!

Also, don't be put off that there aren't swap parts for this car. That's part of the fun, to make your own mounts and headers. You will have a real sense of accomplishment when the car is done and you can say, yeah, I built all the stuff myself.

I VERY STRONGLY SUGGEST that you spend a few bucks and do some reading before going any further......You don't know what you don't know.....
http://www.amazon.com/Swap-Engines-A...6578522&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Swappin...6578618&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Engi...6578675&sr=1-3

P.S. I was just thinking how sweet it would be to install a '93-'97 Lincoln Mark VIII V8, transmission and rear end. I have seen these cars for sale here in Phoenix for around $1500 in good running condition. Buy a complete running donor car and you would have everything there that you needed to do the swap, including wiring, computer, everything. The engine is all aluminum and while not a barn burner, would give excellent fuel mileage and make a RRREEEAAAAALLLL nice cruiser out of your Cosmo.

I don't know how you're outfitted for tools and space to work, but I built just about everything in a two-car garage with a MIG, cutting torch, good 4" hand grinder and a Milwaukee Sawzall. And a decent set of hand tools of course. Take your time and enjoy the build. Allocate a certain amount of money each month and stick to it. Most of my projects turned out to be a few years long and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. If you're anything like me and some other fellows I have talked to who do this on an amateur basis, just sittin' by the car with a cool one and thinkin' about different stuff to do will take up about 3/4 of your time.

Last edited by techinspector1; 06-14-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

All very awesome advice from Mr. Techinspector. The more time you spend learning before you tackle the project the better. An experienced friend is often a good thing to have around show you the ropes.

To take your Lincoln idea and run with it (sorry ) There's also the tall deck 5.4L DOHC variation found in the Lincoln Navigator. It's a bit of a barn-burner by comparison. Just a thought...
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cosmo advice

Thanks for your input I am already looking up the books. I will be in touch in the future. Thanks again
Old 06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7
To take your Lincoln idea and run with it (sorry ) There's also the tall deck 5.4L DOHC variation found in the Lincoln Navigator. It's a bit of a barn-burner by comparison. Just a thought...
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that motor. I don't get around too much any more.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.