Advice on evaluating engine condition - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Off to the machine shop now. See how it goes.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

Advice on evaluating engine condition

The best thing to do is get the block checked out by a machine shop. This way you will know the cylinder size, if lifter bores are ok, clean block, they will take brushes and clean oil galleries. They will check your crank. You can look on back side of bearings to see if they are standard or .010 under. Rods need checked to see if they need resized. I would find another place to shop instead of Auto Zone. Check out this kit from Summit Racing with pistons included are priced better than the kit from Auto Zone. Federal Mogul Premium Engine Rebuild Kits MHP178-300 - SummitRacing.com. Like I said the block needs to checked to know what size pistons and rings, and bearings.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdminter59 For This Useful Post:
Infinite Monkeys (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

I'm not a fan of Autozone, But's it's the only store in town. I will go with Summit. The guy at the machine shop is trying to sell my his kit. I'll skip on that.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
I'm not a fan of Autozone, But's it's the only store in town. I will go with Summit. The guy at the machine shop is trying to sell my his kit. I'll skip on that.

Thanks
Dont hate on the machine shop guy he is doing right. Without parts like pistons and rods crank he cant really do the block work properly. So they will all offer to buy the parts for you. The biggest problems with that are mark up and they usally try to sell the best stuff when you will want the cheapest. Sometimes its best to work a deal with them. Summit has better web site jegs has better prices. Along with just about everyone else. Summit is a little high on most items. Not too bad tho so if they are easy to deal with then its not like they are ripping you off just a dollar or two more on all items.

also machine shop guy might not charge to clearence his parts but will complain about soirced parts. Not that its a big deal i always source my own stuff as well. Usally i ask what theynare selling and get those parts my self or something better. This usally helps smooth over any issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Advice on evaluating engine condition

Quote:

Thanks
You could talk to the machine shop guy and ask him what brand name parts his kit has. Print the Summit Racing kit and show him. Ask him if he can match the price, Sometimes they will work with you. Be sure to talk to him about the right pistons to use, flat top or dished to keep your compression at 9.0. He will have to cc the chambers of your heads. My machinist has been a friend of mine forever, we grew up together in the same neighborhood. He will tell me flat out he can't compete with Summit Racing or Jegs prices. He says buy the parts and bring them in he don't blame me.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdminter59 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

I don't mean to talk down the machine shop guy. But I've looking over his kit and here it is

Ford V 8 460 7 5L Master Engine Rebuild Kit 1993 1997 | eBay

And he wants $900 for the kit.

Here's one from Summit: Granted it does not include a cam or lifters, but all top name brand stuff for about $200 less. I'd rather spend some extra on name brand stuff. I'll still need to get a cam and a few other thing. I'll ask him if he can match Summit.

Sealed Power MKP6321A-000 - SummitRacing.com

Last edited by Infinite Monkeys; 12-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
I don't mean to talk down the machine shop guy. But I've looking over his kit and here it is

Ford V 8 460 7 5L Master Engine Rebuild Kit 1993 1997 | eBay

And he wants $900 for the kit.

Here's one from Summit: Granted it does not include a cam or lifters, but all top name brand stuff for about $200 less. I'd rather spend some extra on name brand stuff. I'll still need to get a cam and a few other thing. I'll ask him if he can match Summit.

Sealed Power MKP6321A-000 - SummitRacing.com
The summit kit is all sealed power stuff which is not bad but not top of the line. The other kit has all the rigth color boxes not sure who makes what but usally hasting rings clevite bearings and sealed power pistons are the way to go. If everything comes from one manufacturer you can bet you are not getting top of the line stuff. Most companies only make one type of part. Like bearings or cams. Not the entire package.

Sealed power kit will work well but the other kit seems like good stuff. But i am no ford expert.

If it was a chevy. I would recommend spmething like this. Not sure if this is priced well. But properly advertised and uses good components.
SB Chevy 383 Stroker Perf Master Engine Kit 1pc Crank | eBay

Now if you can find a kit like that for a ford 460 your set. Maybe ask the seller if he can put something together. This also is closer to the first link you posted. Notice the company name, part number and specs are all listed. Kits that say bearings or cam are a major red flag.

Fyi 900 parts and good price on labor is not a bad deal at all.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

Kit from Summit is the same as the one from Autozone, just half the price!!!

I also saw some name brand stuff in the ebay kit, but what really turned me off to it was the "DuraBond" Cam bearings. I don't know anything about them, but my general belief is that anything that starts with "Dura....."
Is anything but durable.
(just an opining, not based on any fact)

I looked up the DuraBond bearings and found them in the $15 to $20 range. That's with the seller's mark-up. Now do I really want something like that for cam bearings. If it was a sensor, or something like that, I might get it, but to have to pull and possibly rebuild the engine again is not worth it.
I suppose I could also see if he would replace parts with better quality stuff, but it's not worth the headache and the shop is about 30 miles from my house.

This is what I have for labor:

Clean Block= 95
Seat valves and new exhaust valves= 200
mill head= 50
polish crank= 35
bore block= 200
hang pistons= 45
remove 3 broken exhaust studs= 150

Plus other misc stuff which brings total shop cost to: about $850. Fair enough, in my opinion. Although it is the first time I'm doing this.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Old & Furious

Use clevite bearings. They have never failed me. Meldon oil pump. Hasting rings. Federal mogual or keith black pistons, felpro print-o-seal gaskets, oem rods and pins if possible.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

So, Looks like it's decided. I'm going .030 over. just getting the machine work done now. The shop will also supply new EX valves, seats and reseat all valves, as well as put in new seals. I'll finish assembly with my own kit.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I have used Durabond cam bearings dozens of times. They're a good OEM replacement. If you're going to use a premium cam bearing, use ACL.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I have used Durabond cam bearings dozens of times. They're a good OEM replacement. If you're going to use a premium cam bearing, use ACL.
What do you think of Clevite, or Sealed Power.
Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
What do you think of Clevite, or Sealed Power.
Thanks again.
Haven't used them unless they are the same as Durabond or ACL, just in a different box.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Haven't used them unless they are the same as Durabond or ACL, just in a different box.
Dura bond is a brand name for melling and seal power is a brand name for federal mogul. Actually they both make pretty good products. Its not junk. If its in the kit i say run it and dont look back.

Both of those companies do make multi versions of parts with different quaility. Look for the word replacement or performance. Replacement bearings or parts are oem min. Spec. Its ment for factory replacement. They also make a high quality bearing with a similar part number. Check the part numbers one letter diff can mean its a much more expensive parts.

Also bearings dont cost much. Its usally all mark up.

Not sure if this link will work but here is a set of clevite 77 hipo bearings.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Clevite/Clevit...|P_SKU|0&Nty=0

Last edited by hcompton; 12-24-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Infinite Monkeys (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Dura bond is a brand name for melling and seal power is a brand name for federal mogul. Actually they both make pretty good products. Its not junk. If its in the kit i say run it and dont look back.

Both of those companies do make multi versions of parts with different quaility. Look for the word replacement or performance. Replacement bearings or parts are oem min. Spec. Its ment for factory replacement. They also make a high quality bearing with a similar part number. Check the part numbers one letter diff can mean its a much more expensive parts.

Also bearings dont cost much. Its usally all mark up.
sealed power cam bearings are not full round bearings. they are the style that start out as flat pieces and are formed into a circle. i would not use that style of bearing in anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Plaintoast For This Useful Post:
Infinite Monkeys (12-24-2012)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.